Bugs in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bugs in CR

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    2techs

We are thinking about possible retirement in CR, and having lived in Florida most of my childhood, I am deathly afraid of the huge, disgusting roaches. Are they, or anything closely resembling them native to CR?

Andrew
    Keymaster

There is some information about bugs in the forum including [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/messages.cfm?messageid=14197CE9-24E8-5ED2-F150926E40443054#14197CE9-24E8-5ED2-F150926E40443054 ]

I always tell people that I had WAY more cockroaches in my building in Manhattan on West 72nd street than I have ever seen in any of the 10+ homes in which I’ve lived in Costa Rica.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

costaricafinca
    Participant

I have seen some roaches that are size of small turtles….
    But in all seriousness, if you can’t stand bugs…Costa Rica is not for you.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I don’t quite agree with that, crf. I think the prevalence of bugs is very much altitude-dependent. The higher you are the cooler it is and the fewer bugs, particularly big ones, you’ll find. That’s not to say that there are none whatsoever, but they’re fewer and farther between.

Traveling around, I’ve seen tarantulas and beetles big enough to cut steaks off. We have none of those on our mountainside outside Grecia at 4,100 feet.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I agree with you David… You’ll certainly find a zillion more varieties of bugs, snakes and birds the closer you get to sea level…

The higher you go the less species – of nice, unpleasant and dangerous – of bugs and everything else there are…

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

Obviously I see more bugs than you guys, but can one stay [i]’up in the clouds’ forever…. [/i] 😆

diane62

Hey David

Tell me more what it is like to live where you are. We are looking at moving to CR

Diane

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Obviously I see more bugs than you guys, but can one stay [i]’up in the clouds’ forever…. [/i] :lol:[/quote]

Shirley, some of us spend our entire lives with our heads in the clouds.

_______

Diane, go to your Inbox and send me a private message. We needn’t clutter up this Forum with our private conversation.

bogino
    Participant

I agree with other posters. If you have a problem with Bugs then Alaska might be a better choice. Bugs is a part of life in Costa Rica and they’re half the fun…..:lol::lol:

waggoner41

[quote=”bogino”]I agree with other posters. If you have a problem with Bugs then Alaska might be a better choice. Bugs is a part of life in Costa Rica and they’re half the fun…..:lol::lol:[/quote]

Ever been to Alaska? They have mosquitos the size of small planes up there.

wspeed1195

being A florida native and spending several mos. at A time in costa on many occasions it’s no different.
    the rewards of being there vs. here,and bugs as the variable,you ain’t done packin yet?
    I left my doors and windows open all the time.literally.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.