Bringing vehicle from US to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing vehicle from US to Costa Rica

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sandt330

Hello,

My family and I are moving to Costa Rica in the spring. We are wondering about the process of shipping and receiving a vehicle from the US. Does anyone have any previous experience with this type of thing, especially in regards to importation fees? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

whyworry

[quote=”sandt330″]Hello,

My family and I are moving to Costa Rica in the spring. We are wondering about the process of shipping and receiving a vehicle from the US. Does anyone have any previous experience with this type of thing, especially in regards to importation fees? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    [/quote]. I have brought in many vehicles into CR. two SUV, two ATV and one motor cycle. I used a service called logistics Management service. Contact Mike Rappaport at http://www.lomaser.com. Get your VIN number of the vehicle and he will let you know what the duty on the vehicle will be before you ship it as well as the transport cost. He will get all the paper work done for you as well as the inspections and everything to make the vehicle legal here in CR. Also make sure the vehicle you are shipping is sold here in CR so you know that you can get it repaired and get parts for it. When you ship the car don’t leave anything of value in it. He can tell you all your cost ahead of time.

sandt330

whyworry,

Thank you so much for the response. Exactly the answer I needed! I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year!

Would you let us know what you find out about the costs? I’d be intereted to know also.

[quote=”sandt330″]whyworry,

Thank you so much for the response. Exactly the answer I needed! I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year![/quote]

whyworry

[quote=”lillianwickram”]Would you let us know what you find out about the costs? I’d be intereted to know also.

[quote=”sandt330″]whyworry,

Thank you so much for the response. Exactly the answer I needed! I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas and a happy new year![/quote][/quote]

To sandt330, Remember one thing getting a price on bringing a vehicle will vary on the Port that it leaves from, and how it ships. Ports that they ship from are Texas, Calif, and Florida. So the prices will vary from each one. So the best thing is to get a quote yourself from LMI directly. I have found bringing in a car it doesn’t matter on the condition of the car or the shape it is in, you pay the same duty. It is best to find a car, check the vin number then get a quote on the taxes. Remember the older the car the higher the duty you will pay. So you have to look at all your options. Here in CR their are many vehicles for sale and when you look at the price you pay here it is almost the same as bringing one in from out of the states. The only way is if you get a real bargain price in the states or you know the actual history of the vehicle you are bringing in, condition. If you go on line and Google CR cars you can get some cost on what you would pay here for vehicles. Two years ago I brought in a 2005 Jeep Liberty 4×4 low mileage. and the duty on the vehicle was nearly $7,000 dollars plus around another $1,000 for shipping. Also when you bring in a vehicle make sure it has new tires on it. Tires are very expensive here as well as parts. Just a little food for thought

VictoriaLST

we used Charles Zeller’s company to ship a car and a boat. Great service.Web Results
    Moving & Relocating | Solutions Costa Rica
    http://www.solutionscostarica.com/relocating/

davidd

this is the only country where the car you own goes up in value as it gets older lol for tax purposes I mean

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]
    we used Charles Zeller’s company to ship a car and a boat. Great service.Web Results
    Moving & Relocating | Solutions Costa Rica
    http://www.solutionscostarica.com/relocating/%5B/quote%5D

Octavia

[quote=”sandt330″]Hello,

[/quote]

Remember that the older the vehicle, the higher the import taxes are. I received a quote for my 1992 Hyundai Santa Fe (leather seats) and it was approximately 5300 dollars to import it. I used the method mentioned above by sending my VIN number, mileage, model etc and the guy gets right back to you with an email with everything you need to know. That $5300 is in excess of the price of the shipping container.

CORRECTION: 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe. Sheesh!

sandt330

Well I still haven’t gotten any sort of response or quote from the first recommended company, but I’m pretty sure it’s in part becuase of the holidays and will probably get a response this week. I will be checking out the other one that was also recommended as well. That is pretty insane that they charged that much for the Santa Fe. I have a 2003 Ford Ranger so I can’t imagine my quote being much different. Is it almost worth it to just sell the vehicle before and then buy another when I get to CR?

costaricafinca
    Participant

Use [url=http://www.hacienda.go.cr/autohacienda/autovalor.aspx]this site[/url] or [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Customs-and-Trade/costa-rica-importing-a-car-how-much-are-the-taxes.html]this one[/url] which explains it in more detail, to find out what you [i]may[/i] expect to pay.

sandt330

Hello all,

Sorry I haven’t checked back on this post for awhile. Just for future knowledge a 2003 Ford Ranger is about $6500 to ship, not including shipping container rates. Thank you to all who pointed me in the right direction to receive a reliable estimate.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.