Bringing my backpack

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing my backpack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    writersam

and headed for Costa Rica for a month long stay. Any tips or ideas on what to see. Also looking around to maybe buy a B&B.

Thanks!

maravilla

i know a b & b that’s for sale in a really nice area. contact me offlist.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Main tip is [i]don’t buy property[/i] this first trip!

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]Writersam[/b], realize [b]you cannot legally perform any work [/b]in a B&B or anywhere else in Costa Rica unless you are a Permanent Resident, which will take 4 years, so you will have to hire someone to make breakfast, clean rooms, answer phones….

Jim S.

Buying any sort of property or business before you have at least a year of experience living here (preferably more) is probably not a good idea. You don’t need residency to own a business or to receive income from its earnings or for your management services, but without residency cannot receive earnings for actual “labor” that could otherwise be perfomed by a resident. This is rather vague, but is the law. Obviously, the less you pay in outside salaries, the more earnings you keep for yourself but you could get into trouble trying to skirt the law. I recommend that you at least begin the residency process before working even in your own business other than in a general management capacity.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I remembered reading this article written by a lovely lady I know, [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/486.cfm]Ginette Laurin [/url] who wrote this interesting perspective for this website a while ago, and thought that you should see if running a B&B is for you….and the many others who think that this is an easy lifestyle.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Hmmm . . .

Let’s see, you’re on call 24/7 responding to all the needs and whims of a bunch of total strangers who are living right under your nose and who think that the universe revolves around them since they’re paying the bills. Yup, that’s the life for me!

writersam

Okay so maybe I need to find just a little hut to get away in. Not planning on buying anything at the moment just getting an idea of what I would like to do while down there. Thanks for the advice.

grb1063

One thing you won’t have to worry about in CR like you do in Reno….100+ temps or 3′ of snow, but the roads are worse than the Mt. Rose Hwy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.