Bringing multiple pets to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing multiple pets to Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Baxter and Ann
    Participant

We have three dogs and 5 cats. How much hassle is it to bring your pets to retirement paradise?

We have already received info on the usda cert. Vet exams 10 days prior to lift off. How much trouble would we have renting in the countryside with such a pack?

Thanks for the good word.

costaricafinca
    Participant

You should check with your airline of choice as you are only permitted one pet per passenger to travel ‘in cabin’ and the rest must travel as excess baggage or if the weight/size of the dogs are large, they are required to travel as excess cargo, which is very expensive if even possible with some airlines. There are travel restrictions too, based on weather conditions.
    Renting shouldn’t be an issue.

Baxter and Ann
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]You should check with your airline of choice as you are only permitted one pet per passenger to travel ‘in cabin’ and the rest must travel as excess baggage or if the weight/size of the dogs are large, they are required to travel as excess cargo, which is very expensive if even possible with some airlines. There are travel restrictions too, based on weather conditions.
    Renting srhouldn’t be an issue.[/quote]

Thank you so much for all the information! We are excited about the move.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Baxter and Ann”]We have three dogs and 5 cats. How much hassle is it to bring your pets to retirement paradise?

We have already received info on the usda cert. Vet exams 10 days prior to lift off. How much trouble would we have renting in the countryside with such a pack?

Thanks for the good word.[/quote]

Some “family” you’re bringing! The USDA and Vet paperwork is the easy part. The expense and travel restrictions the airlines place on you are another. Be VERY clear on carrier size and quality before getting a surprise on travel day! The weather (temperature) can also become an issue so check the restrictions there as well. Once again it’s a shame to load up and be turned away at the airport.

As to living in the “countyside”… keep in mind the dangers your pets will face that you may not currently deal with. There are snakes and other hazards that will kill or seriously injure your pets. Be sure to keep this in mind when finding a place to rent. And bringing an invisible fence system might be a good idea to keep them in a designated safe area when outside. Flea and tick products are also expensive and might not be of the same quality here… so bring a good supply with you!

Good luck on moving the gang!

bogino
    Participant

” keep in mind the dangers your pets will face that you may not currently deal with.”<<———This is a VERY important point.

Unless you plan to keep all your pets as indoor pets the hazards they will face from other predatory animals will be significantly greater than what you would typically find in the U.S.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Plus ‘unknown’ health hazards, to this day we don’t know what killed the most perfect little dog I’ve ever had – Daisy – an Australian terrier.

We’re guessing it was some kind of a poisonous frog or toad….

[img]https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/images/Daisy1.jpg[/img]

costaricafinca
    Participant

We have had two bad infestation problems with ticks, since we live in the ‘countryside’ with lots of long grass around us…and have had two of our dogs bitten by snakes, one was a rattlesnake but the other was ‘unknown’ and resulted in a huge hole in the neck of our mastiff that almost costs him, his life.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/aUICK5J.jpg[/img]

Baxter and Ann
    Participant

Thanks for all the good info. We do keep our pets inside during the night and have, also, an invisible fence for the dogs. Are definitely going to use one there for all who go outside. All will definitely get flea and tick protection.

CHERYLJK

And don’t forget that the burglars are good at poisoning your animals. It happened to our friend’s dog.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Yes, we lost three dogs to robbers that poisoned our dogs, while they looted our attached garage where the dogs slept but we left the door open so they could get out…:cry:
    They not only targeted us, but many other neighbors who are all [i]Ticos[/i] and poisoned their dogs too, about 12 in all.
    All five of ours sleep inside now.

CHERYLJK

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Yes, we lost three dogs to robbers that poisoned our dogs, while they looted our attached garage where the dogs slept but we left the door open so they could get out…:cry:
    They not only targeted us, but many other neighbors who are all [i]Ticos[/i] and poisoned their dogs too, about 12 in all.
    All five of ours sleep inside now.[/quote]

Oh, that makes me so sad. I can’t bear the idea of anyone hurting our dearly departed dog, which is why once we move to CR, I don’t want to get any more dogs. But my husband is convinced I will change my mind, and he is probably right!

rf2cr
    Participant

I am a little late coming into this conversation but you do need to check with your airlines, most restrict dogs to 2 per flight, even in the hold, so you may need to work with a friend or animal shipper to get them all here.

these are super important points. My dogs are family members. What steps can a person take to keep their animals safe? I’m thinking an 8 foot fence, motion activated lighting, video cameras? I would rather have people think I was a bat ass crazy northerner than think my dogs could be preyed upon.

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”lillianwickram”]these are super important points. My dogs are family members. What steps can a person take to keep their animals safe? I’m thinking an 8 foot fence, motion activated lighting, video cameras? I would rather have people think I was a bat ass crazy northerner than think my dogs could be preyed upon.
    [/quote]

Why would you want to move to CR if you have to live in a fort. Sounds like you should reconsider if that’s the right move for you.

sueandchris

No fence, gate, or invisible electric system will keep out the poisonous toads and snakes that regularly kill dogs. And the thieves throw the poisoned food over the wall so that the dogs aren’t a problem. I also understand that are a couple of other insects/worms that are not ticks or fleas that can pose a real hazard for dogs and cats but perhaps someone else can weigh in on this.

These are VERY real hazards that I worried about all the time. My little 7 pound Costa Rican rescue was a beloved family member and we didn’t like her to be out unattended day OR night.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.