Bringing in Pet Parrots

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing in Pet Parrots

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant

How easy or complicated would it be to bring in a couple of pet parrots (an African Grey and a Double Yellow Headed Amazon) to Costa Rica? Conversely, if things didn’t work out and I wanted to move back to U.S. one day how easy/complicated to get them out? Thx.

rosiemaji

My understanding is that it is possible to bring them into Costa Rica but that you would not be able to bring them back to the US.

maravilla

rosie is correct. you can get them here but they ain’t leaving if you decide you want to move back to the States. and be sure to check with the USDA to see what the restrictions are and the requirements for bringing them into CR.

Andrew
    Keymaster

If you use the [url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/cfmbb/search.cfm]Discussion Forum Search Engine[/url] here and search for the word – parrot – you’ll find some additional information…

Importing parrots into Costa Rica is clearly a difficult process.

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

I did read ‘somewhere’ where it can be done, but with a [i]very slim chance of success.[/i]
    Supposedly very time consuming plus very expensive … especially, if you do it, both ways.

[quote=”bogino”]How easy or complicated would it be to bring in a couple of pet parrots (an African Grey and a Double Yellow Headed Amazon) to Costa Rica? Conversely, if things didn’t work out and I wanted to move back to U.S. one day how easy/complicated to get them out? Thx.[/quote]

Yes, you can bring your birds in and yes you can take them back to the States. We have done it and had no problems. We brought our African Grey in in 2009. We checked into it thoroughly and you can exit with them as well. Leaving is actually easier than entering.
    It IS expensive. With the required U.S. veterinarian quarantine of 35 days, Health Certificate, CITES permit, MINAET documentation, airfare, etc., it totaled around $1,800.
    You can bring birds in that are not on the endangered spices list. African Greys CAN be brought in. You would need to check on the Amazon.
    If you would like more information you can email me directly at: puravidafortwo@yahoo.com.
    – Valentina

costaricafinca
    Participant

[b]Valentina[/b], that is much less expensive than I have read elsewhere.

One thing that did come up a couple of times was that [i]”A release from SITES (3 month permit) this can be a problem as the permit can run out before other things line up”.[/i] After which, one man was required to pay $8000 in ‘boarding fees’.

lvc1028

I have two parrots myself (sun conure and blue crown conure) as i was told that bringing them in wasn’t a problem, but forget getting them out. Thankfully, while I have land there, it’ll be many years before I actually live there and then it would only be a half year. I would never consider bringing my birds because, as you question, what would happen if you wanted to return to the US. I would never take that chance–can you leave them with someone in the US and just visit them? It seems like that would be the ‘safest’ thing to do.

[quote=”loraine”]I have two parrots myself (sun conure and blue crown conure) as i was told that bringing them in wasn’t a problem, but forget getting them out. Thankfully, while I have land there, it’ll be many years before I actually live there and then it would only be a half year. I would never consider bringing my birds because, as you question, what would happen if you wanted to return to the US. I would never take that chance–can you leave them with someone in the US and just visit them? It seems like that would be the ‘safest’ thing to do.[/quote]

Your parrots can exit Costa Rica as long as they both have a CITES permit.

[quote=”costaricafinca”][b]Valentina[/b], that is much less expensive than I have read elsewhere.

One thing that did come up a couple of times was that [i]”A release from SITES (3 month permit) this can be a problem as the permit can run out before other things line up”.[/i] After which, one man was required to pay $8000 in ‘boarding fees’.[/quote]

A CITES permit is about $75 per bird.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.