Bringing in frozen meat to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing in frozen meat to Costa Rica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gleis

can I bring frozen turkey into the country from US???

costaricafinca
    Participant

In your suitcase…not legally.

rf2cr
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]In your suitcase…not legally.[/quote]

You can purchase them here if you don’t want to risk it – cost is high (usually around $2.00/lb), available at AutoMercados, PriceSmart and can order them at your local Pali.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We have our own turkeys … 😀 … but maybe you want to bring the cranberry sauce!

johnr

I saw a guy in Liberia bring in about three dozen frozen packages of Oscar Meyer Cheesy Hotdogs. Customs check a couple of the foil packages and sent him on his way. Crazy stuff.:lol:

costaricafinca
    Participant

That’s just the luck of the draw! Our friend in July at the Liberia airport has his ‘cache’ taken away…
    At the customs office in Caldera, they wouldn’t let us or the dogs, have the dried dog treats because they contained chicken and the ingredients were not listed in Spanish. And they even called in the vet….

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A year ago, we had problems with Customs and the Ministry of Agriculture over four Nylabones for our dog. Turns out, anything “animal-related” requires an import license from the Ministry. I was not about to go through that hassle for his Nylabones.

The young man at the Aerocasillas office in Grecia told us that Customs routinely passes any package that weighs less than one kilogram without opening it. Our Nylabone package weighe 1.066kg. I subsequently ordered two Nylabones and they came through without a hitch.

Go figure . . .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.