Bringing food into CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bringing food into CR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We’re coming over in a few days and my wife wanted to prepare a meal for some friends down there, I understand that there are a few ingredients that are not easy to get there, Like sausage, okra, etc.
    Are there any restrictions to bringing in frozen food like sausage?
    Thanks
    Phil

dkt2u

You may not have a problem with packaged food, however we have found that a lot of times it can depend on who happens to be manning customs and what mood they are in, so I would not count on being 100% assured of being allowed to bring anything in. One trip my wife made they made her throw away half a ham sandwich she had bought in Houston before boarding her flight. She was saving it for the drive over to the coast, but they confiscated it.

wmaes47

I traveled into and out of Costa Rica a total of two times in 2004, six times in 2005 and 7th March will be my second trip for 2006.

From the Costa Rica arrival jetway to CR Imigration and on through cvustoms, I have never seen any type of testing or questions asked when traveling to my favorite country.

A BIG bowl of jambalaya would be a great treat for your friends.

Take what you want into the country. I have done it many times without question. This trip includes a Playstation 2, Enfamil for a baby, Scotch, Jiffy Corn Bread mx and other assorted items.

Take what you want. The worst case senario would be confiscation.

Enjoy life and share…

maravilla

On one trip I was carrying 5-pounds of frozen elk tenderloin, a brick of parmesan reggiano, risotto rice, and a sack of dried wild mushrooms. A customs agent asked me if I was carrying any food and he pointed to the bag that had the cheese in it, so I said yes, and told him what it was. He waved me through and only afterwards did I realize that he was actually pointing to the bag that had the elk in it! I always bring down assorted dry foods like polenta, granola, sea salt, quinoa, brown rice and have never had a problem.

maravilla

On one trip I was carrying 5-pounds of frozen elk tenderloin, a brick of parmesan reggiano, risotto rice, and a sack of dried wild mushrooms. A customs agent asked me if I was carrying any food and he pointed to the bag that had the cheese in it, so I said yes, and told him what it was. He waved me through and only afterwards did I realize that he was actually pointing to the bag that had the elk in it! I always bring down assorted dry foods like polenta, granola, sea salt, quinoa, brown rice and have never had a problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.