Bring vehicle vs buying one in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bring vehicle vs buying one in Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    delucajmj

Should I purchase a 4WD here in American and have it shipped down or just buy one when I get there?

maravilla

Depends — you will probably pay about 80% of the value of whatever car you bring in as impuestos (taxes). If you can afford that, then go ahead. There are plenty of good cars in Costa Rica, albeit they are more expensive than in the US. If you do bring in a car, make sure it is one that is easily fixable in Costa Rica. Toyotas, Nissans, Suburus are all good. Don’t know about American makes. Do your homework though. I see plenty of ads for people selling their cars because they can’t afford the taxes on them to get them out of the customs yard and they wind up selling the cars for the taxes owed.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you buy a vehicle in the U.S., you’ll have a much broader selection to choose from and you’ll be certain that you’re getting what’s advertised. In the U.S., it’s illegal to roll back odometers, and you can check Carfax.com to see if the vehicle has been wrecked. Here, it’s common to roll odometers back and there is thriving industry in rehabilitating wrecks. What’s more, a U.S.-source car will at least met the then-current U.S. safety standards.

Either way, you’re going to pay the same import duty and other charges whether you pay them yourself or pay a Costa Rican importer whatever he paid. If you buy a car here, especially from a dealer, it will have been through the importation process and be ready to transfer to you. If you bring it yourself, somebody is going to have to shepherd it through the importation process. There are reliable services which will do this for you.

Were I planning to do this, I would look in the U.S. for a car that’s commonly seen here so that parts and service are not a problem. Needless to say, I’d buy a car that runs on regular gas.

Costa Rica taxes imported cars more heavily the older they are. There are three “stages” of taxation. One to three year-old cars pay the lowest tax (about 52%), but of course that’s on the highest value. Four to six year-old cars pay about 65% (I think) and cars over six years old pay about 79%. Those duties are imposed on the value of the car in the Black Book regardless of mileage, condition or accessories, and also on the cost of freight and insurance.

So if I were going to do this, I’d buy a three year-old car in the U.S. which is commonly seen here. That car would have reasonably up-to-date safety systems and it would have taken the bulk of its depreciation already. And it would be taxed at the lowest rate.

As you admire this problem, consider, too, contacting an INS insurance agent, if you plan to purchase collision and theft insurance, to see about the premium cost for the car you have in mind. Some cars here are more commonly stolen than others and so, while the purchase price of the vehicle may be reasonable, the insurance cost might be very high. I’m pretty sure that INS’ premiums for additional public liability and property damage don’t vary much by vehicle (but I could be wrong).

Edited on Dec 09, 2008 12:07

Robert

I agree with davidcmurray. It’s the norm to have rolled back odometers in CR. If your going to be on the western coast make sure it’s a 4×4 in order to survive the “green season” I imported my Toyota 4 Runner using Barry at Ship Costa Rica. It’s not cheep, but Barry is honest, knows the system well and does what he promises. Get a good solid used vehicle at least you will know what you have.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We just completed the process and pick up a vehicle this past week. Our broker did a fantastic job, but if I told everyone what happened you wouldn’t believe it. So, for those who cannot take any stress, avoid bringing in a vehicle!
    Also, take into consideration regarding the availability of replacement parts.

speedo5

I am shipping my vehicle soon. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please tell me your story, i can handle it . thanks

costaricafinca
    Participant

I would highly recommend this company, ‘Correduria Adduanera’, in Puerto Limon.You can contact them via phone, 2758-7623. Roberto was our broker,and he speaks English. This is a very busy and organized office. They went ‘above and beyond’ their job, and we wouldn’t hesitate to pass on their information.
    I can’t post the story, sorry, due to some ‘irregularities’ that occurred, not due to the broker.
    Be aware though, if the vehicle you are intending to import is ‘the first of it’s kind’ to come into the country, you can expect delays.
    To bring in a brand new vehicle, the duty will be 52%.

Edited on Dec 09, 2008 08:09

Edited on Dec 09, 2008 08:10

Vmc

Hey guys, I’m trying to help a friend find out what duties would be on a vehicle she wants to bring in….I have heard mention of someone who can, taking the vehicle info, make a fairly close estimate of the duties, can someone help me out here, or point me to who can?

Gracias siempre!

costaricafinca
    Participant

[url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Customs-and-Trade/costa-rica-importing-a-car-how-much-are-the-taxes.html]Check this website[/url] and follow the link for additional information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.