Bring Pets to Costa Ric

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bring Pets to Costa Ric

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chuck696969

I HAVE TWO SMALL TOY POODLES 4-1/2 LBS AND 6 LBS.
    I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY COMMENTS ON START TO FINISH IN BRINGING MY PETS FROM THE STATES TO COSTA RICA VIA LIBERIA AIRPORT.
    I WILL BE DEPARTING THE STATES APPROX AUGUST THE 28TH.
    AND DREAD THE THOUGHT THAT MY PETS WOULD BE HELD UP IN QUARANTINE.

Thanks,
    Chuck Major

rosiemaji

There is no quarantine in Costa Rica. Dogs this small can come to Costa Rica in carry-on bags made especially for small pets (commonly called Sherpa bags but there are now many more makers of these). The stories you have read that mention brokers, etc only apply to animals shipped to Costa Rica and not flying with you. Your dogs will need an international health certificate (in Florida it is called APHIS form 7001) signed by your state’s veterinarian and they can both be on the same form since they will be flying together. They must be vaccinated against rabies and Leptospirosis. If there are two of you flying, each one of you can carry a bag with a pet. Check with your airlines about their regulations regarding on-board pets. Some airlines limit how many on-board pets can be on any one flight so you might have to reserve the space for your dogs as early as possible or when you make your airline reservations to make sure they get on the flight. Most airlines charge a fee for carry-on pets.

rosiemaji

I forgot to mention that the international health certification must be obtained no more than 10 days before you fly. A few years back, we brought our sheltie to Costa Rica and back to the states with no problems. He was too big for a Sherpa bag so he rode underneath in a crate. Not all airlines will carry pets underneath so we chose and airline that would. You won’t have that problem since your pets are small enough to fly in the cabin.

barbara ann

we brought our chihuaha in cabin with united as long as they fit under the seat. its been awhile, we paid 125. As far as quarantine, we had our pets vet checked and all shots were up to date with a certificate from the veterinarian. the rabies shot was given and we had to wait 30 days to clear after the injection. They did not check when we came into san jose airport but I would not take the chance, the shot certs are important for you and your pet anyways. they don’t automatically give all preventative shots in costa rica unless you ask, at least in Jaco. Distemper shots are not required here either and there have been outbreaks. So make sure they have all their shots before leaving to come here with the cert, your vet should have it and be able to fill it out for you

costaricafinca
    Participant

You can only bring ‘in cabin’ one pet kennel per ticketed passenger although 2 [u]may be permitted[/u] if you travel first or business class. Check with your airline of choice.
    Also there is a maximum number of pets allowed per flight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.