best way to spoil the party for the ants?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum best way to spoil the party for the ants?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    njackson

Without using “poison”, would like to know the best way to keep ants at bay. Am thinking about bringing orange oil, a natural insect repellent, next time. Any thoughts on this?–or suggestions of ways that have helped in your situation?

barbara ann

cream of wheat, you can find it here. just see where the ants are coming from and put a small pile of it, find a dry area, not easy. Saw this in Arizona on a gardening show and it works on most ants, they eat it, ingest it and it expands inside them, they carry it back to their nest

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”njackson”]Without using “poison”, would like to know the best way to keep ants at bay. Am thinking about bringing orange oil, a natural insect repellent, next time. Any thoughts on this?–or suggestions of ways that have helped in your situation?[/quote]

Recently won the battle with the small kitchen ants!

Blend 50/50 mixture of baking soda and white, granular sugar. Doesn’t take much, a half teaspoon 2 or 3 places on the counter top in a bottle cap or small dish – they will find it. Best if you can find point of entry and make it super convenient for them to find your potion.

Apparently they cannot tell difference in consistency of the 2 ingredients. The sugar attracts them and they carry both back to their nests and the baking soda kills them. Our ants were gone in 2-3 days and haven’t returned.

Google “baking soda and” as well as “vinegar and” and you get some pretty cool, non toxic homemade solutions.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Dry, uncooked rice placed along the path of leaf cutter ants will [i]supposedly[/i] help…but have known some to resort to using dynamite! I’ve seen them eat the leaves of an orange tree…:roll:
    It is very difficult to rid you garden or property without resorting to a ‘poison’ such as Mirex.

VictoriaLST

The question is, what kind of ants? Little kitchen ants: boric acid powder mixed with jelly will attract and kill. Fire ants: boiling water down the nest (nests are small). Leaf cutter ants: mix baby powder with ground hot pepper and pour into nest. This takes a lot of treatments as the nest can be 30×30 feet. I like Myrex and Omitox on their paths.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.