Best to build a 2/2 or 3/2 for re sale?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Best to build a 2/2 or 3/2 for re sale?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GEEGEE

We are thinking to build a few homes for future resale.
    Nice American homes that is. WE looked for a year and could not find one with a good view.
    IS it best to build a 2/2 or a 3/2 and the ideal sq. footage?
    We were also thinking of building a guest home for yr. round rental, on the same property or is it better weekly/monthly rentals for income property?
    What is the demand for you realators out there and what price range is most asked for? IN the mountains what towns
    are most popular ?

I wait your feed back and replies,
    Thank you

Andrew
    Keymaster

You may not have considered this but the vast majority (at least 80%) of the buyers/sales I have personally been involved with as a consultant in the Central Valley area over the past 2 years have NOT been Americans or Canadians, they don’t even speak English.

1. Where exactly will you be building these “nice American homes”?
    2. Can we also assume that you plan on eventually selling the home to Americans too, yes?
    3. Are you thinking of renting to Americans as well?
    4. What sort of age group?

The clearer the picture you have of who you are targetting as your customer, the easier it will be for you to come up with the answer.

Whether that answer will still be correct when you’ve finished building is a whole different question…

Scott

GEEGEE

[quote=”Scott”]You may not have considered this but the vast majority (at least 80%) of the buyers/sales I have personally been involved with as a consultant in the Central Valley area over the past 2 years have NOT been Americans or Canadians, they don’t even speak English.

1. Where exactly will you be building these “nice American homes”?
    2. Can we also assume that you plan on eventually selling the home to Americans too, yes?
    3. Are you thinking of renting to Americans as well?
    4. What sort of age group?

The clearer the picture you have of who you are targetting as your customer, the easier it will be for you to come up with the answer.

Whether that answer will still be correct when you’ve finished building is a whole different question…

Scott[/quote]
    Scott and readers,

1.Building in San Miguel in Grecia at about 5,300 over looking all of San Jose.
    2. yes, would like to sell to Americans, but not a requirement. We will be neighbors as we will keep one for ourselves.
    3.We were planning on renting the guest homes ( 2) to Americans, but not a requirement. We have travel all over the world and Europeans, Germans,Swiss,Turkish are great also.
    Whether we should do all furnished or just appliances depends on the stronger demand.
    4. Retires looking to move to C.R or looking were to live or long stays 3/4 months. We dont want to do weekly
    or monthly rentals. The homes will be as we are a second home and back and forth from the Fla.
    So that is why the question… I am looking for your imput and your readers.
    I know the economy is slow in the USA, but dont you think as the baby boomers retire and the unstibility of the US economy that C.R. will have another inflex 4-5 years from now. WE are not in a hurry to sell.

Thank you Scott and I enjoy your site.
    gg

costaricafinca
    Participant

Considering the altitude you intend to build at, it may be too cool for many potential retirees.

GEEGEE

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Considering the altitude you intend to build at, it may be too cool for many potential retirees.[/quote]

Thank you, that is a thought, but like us in our 60’s we live in Fla. The beaches are way to hot for us.
    It feels and is simular to N.C and S.C weather.
    NOT to hot not to Cold.. JUST RIGHT. We find the weather is
    comfortable and refreshing. I would think for most Europeans
    it is also the right weather. We have been told by several people they moved out of Atenas or Sachi it was to hot in the summer.
    Thank you for your input.

2bncr

I agree with what fincs said. You need to double check your alititude. That is very high. Do you see many expats in the area. If not you have to ask yourself why. I live at 4500ft elevation and this winter was a bear. I WAS WISHING i LIVED LOWER.

It seens as if around 4000 ft the tropical feeling is lost.

The older you are the more the DAMPNESS affects you and the harder it is to keep the dampness out.

GEEGEE

[quote=”2bncr”]I agree with what fincs said. You need to double check your alititude. That is very high. Do you see many expats in the area. If not you have to ask yourself why. I live at 4500ft elevation and this winter was a bear. I WAS WISHING i LIVED LOWER.

The older you are the more the DAMPNESS affects you and the harder it is to keep the dampness out.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply,
    There are many expats that live up here and love it.
    I just was in Puriscal up 3000 and we found it a little
    to warn and bugs/ bugs. This is our 3rd trip for 3 days there and to buggy. Yes, this winter was a wet one. Humidifiers work great IF your land lord will allow you to
    run on and keep the dampness out. With the humidifier it makes it a whole lot better. Also the view gets better and better. WE have a eagle view of San Jose. I guess that is why the USA has people living in Vermont and others in Calf. or Fla. We all like different cliamate.

Thank you for your thoughts,
    gg

GEEGEE

[quote=”2bncr”]I agree with what fincs said. You need to double check your alititude. That is very high. Do you see many expats in the area. If not you have to ask yourself why. I live at 4500ft elevation and this winter was a bear. I WAS WISHING i LIVED LOWER.

The older you are the more the DAMPNESS affects you and the harder it is to keep the dampness out.[/quote]

Thank you for your thoughts. I guess that is why some of us lived in Vermont,Calf, Arizona, or Seattle. We use a humidifier and it works great. It was a Bear even in Grecia
    downtown. WET IS WET!.
    I appreciate your thoughts. NOW any opinion 2/3 or 2/2 bedroom homes?

waggoner41

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Considering the altitude you intend to build at, it may be too cool for many potential retirees.[/quote]
    Choices, choices, choices. I live just above Ciudad Colon at about 2900′ and it is a little too warm here but tolerable.

Originally from Colorado but 19 years in the LA area I would prefer to live at 2BNCR’s 4500′. Jackets are optional but when you get down to bare skin there are no other options.

lceide

What is wrong with you guys? Just answer the question!!!!

In my humble opinion, I think a 3/2 is better for resale. Most people have a need for a bedroom for themselves, a home office/computer/hobby room/work out room, and a guest room for all the people who will want to visit them now that they have moved to Costa Rica.

GEEGEE

[quote=”lceide”]What is wrong with you guys? Just answer the question!!!!

In my humble opinion, I think a 3/2 is better for resale. Most people have a need for a bedroom for themselves, a home office/computer/hobby room/work out room, and a guest room for all the people who will want to visit them now that they have moved to Costa Rica.[/quote]

WOW,
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINION AND STRAIGHT ANSWER. THAT IS WHAT WE ALSO DECIDED ON. THANKS ICEIDE.

GG

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.