Best restaurants in San Jose

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Best restaurants in San Jose

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    stefangr

I love food.

Please someone give me the top five finest restaurants in San Jose?

Great food, good wine list, excellent service, cozy atmosphere and hopefully reasonable prices.

Gr1ng0T1c0

Tin Jo Chinese, fine dining. This is the only one I know of that meets all of your criteria. There are plenty of restaurants in San Jose I haven’t been to.

Not taking wine lists, good service, cozy, and San Jose into account, here are my personal favorites. They may not all look good, but that’s where the best food is!

Chubascos Tico food, road to Poás Volcano.

El Barco de los Mariscos Seafood, Santa Barbara de Heredia. Looks like a big cafeteria, but incredibly good seafood at incredibly low prices. Had to move to a bigger place because they were always jammed up in the original restaurant by the Church.

Spoon Chain café, various locations try their Ensalada de Pollo

Las Chorreras Tico, Road to El Castillo, Heredia. Take fork to the left 1 mile before. Outdoors (under roof). Ma’ & Pa’, weekends only. Try their fajitas de pollo.

Maria’s Tico, Playa Flamingo. More expensive, but way worth it. Outdoors.

Mercado Central The most Tico – San Jose. Don’t wear your rolex, & keep your hands on your wallet.

Juberth’s Quepos, bring bug spray for the no-see-ums under the table. Incredible seafood.

La Cocina de Leña Centro Commercial el Pueblo. Priced for tourists, but excellent nonetheless.

Anyone know any good Mexican restaurants there? Neither Antojitos, nor the one with the orange & purple interior by la rotunda de Zapote does it for me.

Also, where’s a good place for rice and beans, Limón style with coconut?

Andrew
    Keymaster

The Alta Hotel has a nice elegant restaurant. It’s located on the old road from Escazu to Santa Ana, their wood smoked giant shrimp were delicious the last time I was there…

Scott Oliver
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

senta

Since my wife and I like good food we will check out Alta. Any other upscale restaurants in and around SJ? We are there for 10 days in Aug. and would like to sample some more.

gg

There is a new Spanish restaurant in SJ. We were introduced to it by a family member of the owners. I did not see the wine list that evening, but the atmosphere was very nice and the staff (even the owner) were excellent. The name of it is Casa Juanillo. They do an excellent jobe with tapas and paella. It is 100M from Santa Teresita Church. Address is 23 Street, 11 Ave., barrio Aranjuez. Bon appetit!

senta

Thanks gg, I wrote down info.

bcjazz

For a very good Italian themed meal try Cafe Mundo in Barrio Amon. They have indoor and outdoor seating which can be romantic and cozy. Prices are slightly higher, but still very affordable.

Just a note……Macchu Picu in San Jose has some of the best food in San Jose but it’s hot and spicy Peruvian food which goes great with a couple of Imperial beers……..try it

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Whereabouts in San Jose, Hank? Seems like I’ve passed a restaurant by that name on the autopista between Santa Ana and Escazu.

It’s a small little restaurant on a calle colon up from Sabana Norte towards downtown. It’s on a corner and hard to find, but when you find it, it is excellent. I am going down on the 12 – 18th and will get the actual address………sorry for the delay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.