Best cars for Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Best cars for Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

I would recommend reading the last reply which will provide you with informative and honest information about purchasing and owning vehicles in CR and GTE. Most vehicles are purchased in the central valley, in and around San Jose. However, there are several car dealers in Liberia, if you’re interested in parting with mucho dinero to buy from one of the local dealerships. The intended service agreement may be an incentive to buy from one of the local dealerships nearer to Playas del Coco. Remember to get it in writing that scheduled maintenance will be provided out there. It’s a long drive to San Jose for scheduled maintenance and an overnight stay will be inevitable for the vehicle owner.

mediatica

Trish, I live south of Cocos/Hermosa and find that an SUV is the way to go. It’s much more comfortable to have a larger SUV (If you have the budget) on the roads at the beach. Suspension is key–especially on the dirt roads. Hermosa and Cocos is paved, but if you ever go on the monkey trail, you’ll be glad you have a large SUV with good suspension. Toyota Prado, Rav 4, 4 Runner, Mitsubishi Montero/Montero Sport, etc, are great cars for this area. They can all be serviced nearby. Good luck.

trish

Thanks, where is the better place around hermosa/coco to purchase a car? thru the years of visiting, we looked around liberia alittle and wondered if used cars or new cars are the better way to go? we do see alot of mitsubishi and toyota there….we really didnt want to purchase in san jose as i have already been given some great advice on the maintenance….

mediatica

Hi Trish: I actually purchased my car in the central Valley near Grecia. There are cars in Liberia too, but the selection at the time I purchased was better in the San Jose area.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A couple of years ago, somebody reported counting thirty-five used car dealers on the road between the InterAmerican Highway (Route 1) and Grecia. I think there have been some newcomers since then. Grecia is the used car capitol of Costa Rica.

trish

Does anybody have an email address for Russ Martin since he seems to be the used car guy? then maybe i could look online before making my way to Grecia….THANX

OK. I understand everyone likes the old Landcruiser for the best SUV for Costa Rica.
    I would like opinions on the second best SUV for Costa Rica and what makes it your favorite (or second favorite)

trish, I also live in Playa Hermosa. The roads are challenging in Playa Hermosa and El Coco, to say the least. I like many others, have been debating whether to ship, or buy in Costa Rica. We finally decided to ship my 2006 V8 4Runner Sport Edition SUV, with only 9,000 original miles, to Costa Rica, via Arden, Shipcostarica.com. I have rented several SUVs, however, nothing beats the ride and comfort of the 4Runner, not to mention four wheel drive and down-hill-assist, standard with this SUV. The other positive aspects of this vehicle is, it can tow a 7,000 pound boat or trailer. I was pleasantly surprised to see several 2005-2006 4Runners in Playa Hermosa. I also purchased an expensive custom make car cover for my 4Runner, to keep it clean, dry and protected, when parked for long periods.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”lauderdalekaren”]OK. I understand everyone likes the old Landcruiser for the best SUV for Costa Rica.
    I would like opinions on the second best SUV for Costa Rica and what makes it your favorite (or second favorite)[/quote]

I don’t think that there is any consensus that old Lanscruisers are the best vehicle for Costa Rica. There are plenty of perfectly functional alternatives, and much of what’s optimal depends on where you live and what you plan to go.

Here in the Central Valley, we see legions of Suzuki SUVs. If I were in the market, I’d be looking at them closely. They’re either very cheap, very easy to work on, or very reliable. An awful lot of folks seem to be sold on them.

That said, our 2006 Hyundai Terracan has been nearly perfect. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

costaricabill
    Participant

Here’s another vote for the Terracan. We have the 2900cc diésel and love it.

sprite

Just take a look at what the rental agencies are offering to customers, especially Toyota.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”sprite”]Just take a look at what the rental agencies are offering to customers, especially Toyota.[/quote]

I’m sorry, but I don’t think that’s going to be much help. For one thing, all the rental agencies offer a pretty much full range of vehicles from subcompact cars to large SUVs and large capacity vans.

What’s more, they’ll tend to buy (and thus offer) what’s cheap and available. While my first choice would probably be a Toyota, you see a lot of Daihatsus and Daewoos sent out as small rental cars. There can only be one explanation . . .

sprite

Daihatsu is distributed by Toyota. I have rented this product over the last 5 years in CR and the mileage is very good, although these smaller SUV’s have much less substantial feel to them than my Toyota FJ cruiser that I drive in Miami.
    The Suzuki models are also seen everywhere right now but I suspect that Daihatsu may be seen more and more as economies continue to wind down and more inexpensive cars are sought.
    Buy a newer model car that you see a lot on the roads in Costa Rica…and Totyota, Daihatsu and Suzuli seem to dominate. Stay away from Jeep as they are mechanically inferior in every way from my experience.

I am in the first stage of considering purchasing a convertible second car for my wife in Costa Rica. Anyone have any insights or suggestions?

rfalves

[quote=”Disabled Veteran”]I am in the first stage of considering purchasing a convertible second car for my wife in Costa Rica. Anyone have any insights or suggestions?[/quote]
    Just my opinion, I would not buy a Toyota anywhere. Why, well in the best 3 or 4 years at least in the USA they have had millions of cars recalled. To me that is not a sign of a company that cares about quality of the car. Ron USCG Ret

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.