Bank fees

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bank fees

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    paula1

Hi We recently transferred a few thousand dollars to the Banco Nacional. They hit us with a fifty five dollar fee for the transfer. Along with that we paid a thirty dollar fee to our bank in Canada. Is anyone aware of a cheaper way to bring money into the country? Not too fussy about carrying a lot of cash, especially when you have to put all your stuff into the airport scanners and lose sight of things.
    Thanks

redbeard52

If you are not in a rush, you may be able to deposit a check from your home bank account to the CR bank account (when in CR) – but it will likely take about a month to clear. I do that with checks from my USA bank account – not sure if they will do it for Canadian currency or if it must be in US dollars. BCR limits the maximum amount of the check to $2500, but they do not charge any fees for this method.

paula1

Thanks so much, we really appreciate this information!

BillNew
    Participant

Banco National charges my builder $40 to deposit my check drawn on a US bank.

It clears my account within 48 hours and they deny him access to the funds for 3 weeks.

That’s good to know about BCR as I have an account there and that may be a more economical way for me to pay.

Do you happen to know what BCR charges to receive a foreign wire ?

orcas0606
    Participant

I hace written checks on my US bank, Wells Fargo, and deposited it in my account in CR, Scotia Bank. It takes 10 working days to clear and the transfer fee to another account costs $10 US for immediate service and $5 US for 24hrs. It has been more than a year since I have done this. I didn’t have to jump thru too many hoops to prove the source of the funds. Maybe still works, who knows in CR.

redbeard52

I have not wired money into my BCR account to date. I did wire some money out to Nicaragua, and BCR charged about $25 for the outgoing wire. Several years ago I wired money into an account at Scotiabank and they charged an incoming fee of about $45. The fee may vary according to the amount transferred.

BillNew
    Participant

[quote=”orcas0606″]It takes 10 working days to clear [/quote]

Just to clarify …

Are you saying that it takes 10 days to clear your US account … or that it is 10 days before you are given access to the funds in CR?

Thank you both for the info.

orcas0606
    Participant

It takes 10 working days for access to the funds in CR.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.