Bank account in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bank account in Costa Rica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Antonic

Like to know if i cen open Bank acount as i turist planing to retirement in costa rica soon i sale my house i be in costa rica some time in sep.or oct. this year.

wmaes47

You will have no problem opening an account, if you have a Costa Rican corporation in place. Much reading on your part is needed for a decision to incorporate.

If you have two Costa Rica personal references that can vouch for you.

But then it depends on the bank that you try and set the account into. Some may ask for a US100 initial deposit and they will give you a debit card, then you must wait for a checking account… but a bank debit card is the only one needed.

Bill Maes

Antonic

Do you need: 1) a corporation in place AND 2) two Costa Rican personal references OR just one or the other? Do I need to involve a lawyer? Thank you for your prompt reply.

rf2cr
    Participant

It appears there are differences in banks, we had problems with Banco de Costa Rica, no problem with Banco Nacional. You will need to supply a physical address in CR. We did not have a corporation formed at the time, we were able to use our real estate agents as references, they are long time residents and well known in the community. Usually a smaller branch in a small town is more likely to be helpful than in San Jose or larger towns.

You do not need to involve a lawyer to open an account but you will need at least one (read the threads on this forum) to form a corporation.

Hope this helps.

Ruth

dkt2u

Our friends recently came down and bought property in August. They came back in November for two weeks to get things started on building their home. During that two weeks they had no problem opening an account with BCR (Bank of Costa Rica). The only three things they needed was passport,one letter of reference from a Costa Rican citizen…..not a legal resident, and a utility bill from the address they would be using for the account. As previously mentioned, doing it at a branch in a smaller town is probably the way to go. You do not need a corporation to open an account.

Antonic

Thanks for imformation oll of you antonic. One more think i like to know if account must be open in colones or usa dollar or canadian? since my pension is from Canada What shud i doo.thanks again.

Edited on Jan 20, 2007 18:30

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.