Banco Nacional

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Banco Nacional

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Imxploring
    Participant

Good point Sprite… but I’m guessing there will be many more desperate folks in the US that will not be able to fend for themselves…. thus many more willing to try to take what you have. In CR more people will be able provide for themselves as Maravilla points to. A better growing season, simpler life, and a less material exsistance. Besides…. the slide from being poor to poorer isn’t as difficult to swollow as the slide from wealthy to poor. And the life skills of the folks in CR are much better suited to survival. I’ve witnessed them myself and it still amazes me! I tend to think the chances of survival in CR are better than life in one of the big cities in the US if things get bad.

Edited on Dec 26, 2008 15:26

Andrew
    Keymaster

Protectionist dominoes are beginning to tumble across the world. The riots have begun. Civil protest is breaking out in cities across Russia, China, and beyond.

[ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/3870089/Protectionist-dominoes-are-beginning-to-tumble-across-the-world.html ]

——————-

US ARMY READY IF THE DOWNTURN GETS OUT OF HAND

[ http://www.nypost.com/seven/12232008/business/us_army_ready_if_the_downturn_gets_out_o_145522.htm ]

——————-

International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn warned Wednesday of economy-related riots and unrest in various global markets if the financial crisis is not addressed and lower-income households are hurt by credit constraints and rising unemployment.

A new report by the U.S. Army War College talks about the possibility of Pentagon resources and troops being used should the economic crisis lead to civil unrest, such as protests against businesses and government or runs on beleaguered banks.

State and local police in Arizona say they have broad plans to deal with social unrest, including trouble resulting from economic distress. The security and police agencies declined to give specifics, but said they would employ existing and generalized emergency responses to civil unrest that arises for any reason.

[ http://www.nationalterroralert.com/updates/2008/12/18/war-college-report-warns-of-possible-civil-unrest-in-ariz-police-are-prepared/ ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

maravilla

It was bound to happen. And I’m glad I have CR to run to if it all goes to hell even worse than it already has. I just wish they’d let Madoff out of his penthouse for a few hours. I wonder how long he’d last.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

What is it that you think would take a few hours, Maravilla?

jerrelli

Bravo Sprite, well put!

maravilla

Uh, I guess it would take a few hours for everyone who lost their fortunes to exact their pound of flesh from this jack**s.

chiledulce

BN is a state run bank that should have English speaking personnel to help you. Take a translator or a trusted Tico friend with you. Remember, the banks can go under. I was in C.R. when Banco Anglo went under and it was not a pretty sight. Also, if you don’t understand the colones system, you should not invest in it. The ‘tipo de cambio’ changes daily and you should know how, if at all, that affects the end result(interest) of your CD. Each bank has its own politics re: CD’s. Depending what you want the money for, you might consider the Bolsa de Valores which is much more regulated and there are various options with them. They have numerous English speaking personnel and are well informed. I haven’t invested with them lately but have in the past with excellent service and attention. They are located downtown San Jose(sorry don’t have the address.Remember any investment is risky and as someone mentioned, in this environment, safety should be #1 goal for where you park your cash. Good Luck!

maravilla

“The ‘tipo de cambio’ changes daily and you should know how, if at all, that affects the end result(interest) of your CD.”

And because of this fluctuation, it is unlikely that the 8% will actually BE 8% in the end, contrary to what gone postal said.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.