Bamboo House Building

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Bamboo House Building

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I notice that Martin Coto and his company, DecoBambues, are feature on naturalbuilders.com having built a bamboo house in San Jose in 2005. Does anyone know of more recent bamboo building projects featured on websites from Costa Rica? Also, I am looking for any recent articles or website articles concerning the recent use of adobe blocks in Costa Rica.

Thanks,
    Tom on a budget in Portland, Oregon

postalx

It’s my understanding that the use of adobe in residential and commercial construction was outlawed in CR after the earthquakes that killed thousands in Managua, Nicaragua in the ’80’s. Cheap, but dumb to use in a seismic region.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I believe you are correct ‘postalx’ – Having said that I lived in an adobe home in San Antonio de Escazu for a year which was 180 years old. Magnificent old home it was too, beautiful thick walls which kept it cool during the summer and warm in the depths of a Costa Rica ‘winter.’

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Bamboo Construction Considerations in Costa Rica
    If you do not have well trained bamboo craftsmen and an abundant supply of bamboo, it is not practical to consider building with bamboo. 80% of construction costs on any bamboo project go to paying the trained craftsmen who have learned the specialized trade of installing the bamboo. I’ve been building housing in CR since 1992 and have yet to meet any trained bamboo craftsmen.
    Bamboo-framed structures need to be separated from the elements with a proper foundation because termites and other bugs are attracted to Bamboo. Curing the bamboo stalks is mandatory. Borax or formaldehyde liquid solutions are typically used. The chemicals that are typically used for curing bamboo are not user or environmentally friendly.
    When moving to a new country, you need to consider your ability to adapt to the local culture and language before you take on any new challenging projects that will require specialized training of the local workforce. Even if you’re extremely entrepreneurial, it’s usually recommended to not attempt to re-invent the wheel during your initial adaptation process. There are thousands of local Latino construction workers in Costa Rica who are accustomed to concrete construction that you could more easily work with to complete a cost effective dwelling for you to begin your new life in paradise. Good luck!

GreciaBound

Tom in Portland,

Martin Coto and his crew are building a bamboo home near Poas. The bamboo looks great on outdoor porch ceilings, and I have seen it used indoor ceilings as well. It can be expensive as compared to concrete block.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.