Ball or Mason canning jars

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Ball or Mason canning jars

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SusanC

We plan to move to CR in August, finally retired! We have been to visit several times and do not plan to piurchase “sight-unseen” but to rent for a time before we settle.

On several visits, we have toured department stores, Hypermas, Mas X Menos, etc. to check on the availablity of products we regularly use. One item I neglected to check on was the availablity of these wide-mouth jars and lids.

Before all you “regulars” assail me with messages about the bounty of fruit and vegetables available and why I will have not reason to preserve same, let me explain that I have no plans to do that.

Since we are only two, these jars are great to save leftovers (cheese, sauces, etc.) for a long time. I have a Food-Saver system which I love and which will save most items at least several weeks with no loss of flavor or freshness. To do that, I need the Ball jars. I have enough to ship, but would prefer not to spend the money to do that if they are available there.

Thanks so much!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Susan, I think you already know why canning jars are not readily available. We shop where you have and I’ve never seen them. You’d better bring ’em with you.

ticopaz

Hi Susan,
    You can indeed get the Ball wide mouth canning jars at the Auto Mercado Supermarket chain. I have seen and purchased them at the stores in Santana and Heredia. From time to time they are out of stock but I have seen them for at least five years in regular stock. I believe they are also at the Cemaco department stores but not all the time. The only question is how many do you need? I saw about six or so the other day at one of the stores. Keep in mind, as is the case with many items here that are imported, some times they run out and it can take several weeks or more before they are restocked. Auto Mercado also usually keeps a nice selection of Lodge cast iron cookware if that is of interest to you. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    TicoPaz

costaricafinca
    Participant

These are also available at the ‘Do it center’ in near Liberia. All sizes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.