Avocado growing areas??

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Avocado growing areas??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    charmaine

We have visited Costa Rica a few times and love the country. We know how diverse the country is and would like to know if avocado trees are grown in many of the different climate zones. We may buy in Costa Rica, but would like to be in an area that avocado’s thrive. If any one has this info, please let us know. I have viewed some posts that talk about bananas, and avocados but it does not go into much detail of the area or climate zone. Thanks Char

dkt2u

I can’t speak to other areas of the country, but they grow plentiful here in the Central Pacific area. We have a tree in our yard that has about 100 on it right now.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We live at about 4,100 feet above sea level outside Grecia in the Central Valley. We don’t have avocado trees but there are some in the neighborhood.

ticopaz

Hi Charmaine,
    Avocados can be grown in all regions of Costa Rica. The only thing you need to take into account is the altitude where you will be planting. A good nursery will be able to tell you which of their trees is right for yours. I live in the mountains and require the mexican type fruit. There are other varieties on my property that were planted before but they will not produce as they are not for my zone.
    Hope this helps,
    Ticopaz

charmaine

Thanks to all for the info. I was also wondering if it is too dry to grow avocados in the Guanacaste region? Next time I am down in that area I will have to stop in at a Nursery and ask some questions. Thanks

rf2cr
    Participant

Libano is a small town near Tilaran and is famous for its avacados – we live in Aguacate close to lake Arenal and the river is named for the wild avacados that used to grow there. Conditions here are similar to the southern california growing areas, you might have to irrigate in dry season in the lowlands of Guanacaste.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We grow avocados in Guanacaste, but Guanacaste covers a big area so a lot will depend on where you intend to plant the trees, near the beach or in the interior. We are in Guayabo de Bagaces.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.