ATM’s

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum ATM’s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

What is the cost of doing business on an ATM machine? I’m not talking about the exchange rate and so forth, but just the use of a machine other than one that belongs to the person’s home bank? Thank you!

scottbenson

You will love this Marilyn but they don’t charge anything. All of the ATM machines that I have used never charges you anything for the use of the ATM.

gulybanm

Hi Scott,
    I think it depends on where Marilyn’s account is domiciled. If she is trying to access a US or Canadian (or other) account in Costa Rica, there will likely be a charge imposed. If she is accessing her Costa Rica account, then you may be right about no associated access charges.

scottbenson

Hmm that is interesting because the accounts that we were accessing were in the states. We normally take money out at the shopping centers atm and have not been charged a ATM from the Costa Rican bank.
    How ever we get hit really hard from the U.S. banks with international fees and a fee just because we didn’t use thier ATM.
    Maybe it just depends on the banks ATM that you choose.

Hmmm… Gets interestinger and interestinger. :))))

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Our U.S. bank (Wachovia) charges us $2.00 per transaction in excess of (about) three a month if we use non-Wachovia ATMs.

Since Wachovia is my bank and it seems CR banks don’t charge anything, I guess I know where I stand. Thanks, David. 🙂 I was thinking of the huge charges for credit card use and was afraid of what the CR banks might have charged for the use of their ATM’s.

Hola Marilyn, They charge for cashing travelers checks in th banks, and hotels like Best Western give lower rates on the US $. If you ask in advance or nicely, when you are buying something, before yo get and pay your biil, some places may discount the bill by the 6 or 7% they pay for charge card processing if you pay in cash. Canadian money is funny money to them, there is no posted exchange rate. American dollars are stable compared to their colon, due to inflation, or whatever. In February 2006 it was around 495 colons per US dollar, last month (beginning of July 2006) 511 colons give or take if buying or selling, and now the Central Bank posted rate is around 515 colons when selling and 517 colons when buying. Good luck. I am sure this confused you just a bit, but what the heck in a day you will be there, and I will be here, and wish I was there. Have a dance for me. Chao Chao, Your Canuck Buddy.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.