Article on “Starving Central America.”

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Article on “Starving Central America.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

Just came across this article from Counterpunch http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/10/31/starving-central-america/

I’m also wondering what will happen environmentally to Nicaragua and how it might also affect Costa Rica if the touted canal is built. As I understand, Lake Nicaragua is a fresh water lake, and sea water is bound to be introduced in it via the lock system.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”johnnyh”]Just came across this article from Counterpunch http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/10/31/starving-central-america/

I’m also wondering what will happen environmentally to Nicaragua and how it might also affect Costa Rica if the touted canal is built. As I understand, Lake Nicaragua is a fresh water lake, and sea water is bound to be introduced in it via the lock system.[/quote]

Introducing seawater to Lake Nica is by far the least of potential environmental, social, and economic damage. I suspect there is more electrolyte introduction to the lake by runoff from the land than ships would bring in. A century of ship transits in Panama has not shown significant change to Gatun Lake due to salt water introduction.
    The lake’s fresh water is a very effective way to prevent the introduction of invasive marine species from the Pacific to Caribbean side, and vice versa. Very few marine critters can stand the change. One that has is the Lake Nicaragua shark, which has gradually evolved tolerance to fresh water. It is actually the Caribbean bull shark, a known maneater. Thus endeth the lesson for today.

Imxploring
    Participant

Come now…. I think everyone is overreacting! The Chinese are staunch environmentalists that have always shown an overwhelming concern for not only the environment but also human rights! Why else in the world would the former president and Noble prize winner Don Oscar establish relations with them! He’s smarter then the rest of us…. and I’m guessing a lot wealthier as well thanks to that move…. seems he might have even shared some of the take with his brother who has dropped off the radar.

Danny and the crew up north sold out the folks of Nicaragua… he could care less about the environment, land rights, or human rights…. it’s all about money and how much he got! But then again the fools in Nicaragua did “elect” their president for life…. and no doubt it will become a dynasty when Danny and his lady pass into the sunset.

davidd

imxploring

I understand your points and generally agree.. but I think the canal is a great thing for Nicaragua. Its projects like these that can move Nicaragua into a better economic situation in my opinion.

of course there will be issues but looking at panama.. if it was not for the canal.. panama would not be where it is today..

Nicaland has alot of potential.

but you right about the incompetence corruption that flows everywhere..

[quote=”Imxploring”]Come now…. I think everyone is overreacting! The Chinese are staunch environmentalists that have always shown an overwhelming concern for not only the environment but also human rights! Why else in the world would the former president and Noble prize winner Don Oscar establish relations with them! He’s smarter then the rest of us…. and I’m guessing a lot wealthier as well thanks to that move…. seems he might have even shared some of the take with his brother who has dropped off the radar.

Danny and the crew up north sold out the folks of Nicaragua… he could care less about the environment, land rights, or human rights…. it’s all about money and how much he got! But then again the fools in Nicaragua did “elect” their president for life…. and no doubt it will become a dynasty when Danny and his lady pass into the sunset.[/quote]

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”Imxploring”]Danny and the crew up north sold out the folks of Nicaragua… he could care less about the environment, land rights, or human rights…. it’s all about money and how much he got! But then again the fools in Nicaragua did “elect” their president for life…. and no doubt it will become a dynasty when Danny and his lady pass into the sunset.

said Mark Twain,
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
    😥

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.