Article on a proposed gag law? Political climate in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Article on a proposed gag law? Political climate in CR

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Did anyone see an article on a proposed gag law that suggests that commentary that is not in alignment with morals of the country could result in fines for newspapers and television? This seemed concerning to me. What is the political climate there? Maybe I’m missing something. I’ve always thought of Costa Rica as being pretty progressive. Naive view or was the article just about some type of partisan efforts?

Imxploring
    Participant

It’s easy to be progressive when things are good. When the winds shift and things get difficult that’s when politicians and dictators like to start suppressing the media, your rights, and go after your assets. In a country like CR that has always been rather open about things you have to make these moves in very small steps. Having no army it’s difficult to make big sudden moves against your people. Thankfully this latest attempt on the part of the politicians to erode free speech and the power of the press was discovered and made public which caused it to be dropped immediately!

The fact that this even occurred was troubling. The response and subsequent reversal are reassuring!

orcas0606
    Participant

How right you are. Once the “progressives” (don’t want to use a stronger Word) get a scoiety on the slippery slope the come back is quite difficult and most often violent. Just look around us. Danny boy and his cohorts were able to rid Nicaragua of dictator Somoza and look what happened. Yes, cat s##t and dog s””t smell the same. Ni hablar de Venezuela. And yes it is re-assuring the reaction here. I can’t imagine how congress and others thought they could slip that law thru without an uproar. “Pura Vida”, Adios Melvin.

[quote=”Imxploring”]It’s easy to be progressive when things are good. When the winds shift and things get difficult that’s when politicians and dictators like to start suppressing the media, your rights, and go after your assets. In a country like CR that has always been rather open about things you have to make these moves in very small steps. Having no army it’s difficult to make big sudden moves against your people. Thankfully this latest attempt on the part of the politicians to erode free speech and the power of the press was discovered and made public which caused it to be dropped immediately!

The fact that this even occurred was troubling. The response and subsequent reversal are reassuring!

[/quote]

I’m starting to follow the CR news more and more as I plan my move and was surprised to see this proposed law. Now, you’re right and I see how these efforts were shut down and it is reassuring.

[quote=”Imxploring”]It’s easy to be progressive when things are good. When the winds shift and things get difficult that’s when politicians and dictators like to start suppressing the media, your rights, and go after your assets. In a country like CR that has always been rather open about things you have to make these moves in very small steps. Having no army it’s difficult to make big sudden moves against your people. Thankfully this latest attempt on the part of the politicians to erode free speech and the power of the press was discovered and made public which caused it to be dropped immediately!

[/quote]

johnnyh

So I see that Costa Rica has their own versions of our malevolent neocons. Does anybody know who or which diputados proposed this law? And, and, were they influenced by the Washington District of Corruption gang?

rfs1975

Progressives do not have any libertarian bones in their bodies. Their god is equality. That which serves their god is tolerated. That which offends their god is ruthlessly stamped out, just look around(Venezuela, Cuba)

sprite

[quote=”sweikert925″]There are good people and bad people on both sides of the political left/right divide.[/quote]

Good lord! I find myself on the same side of this argument as Sweikert! Amazing.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Anybody have any idea what the [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/04/10/president-solis-sacks-technology-minister-over-media-gag-law]Tico Times is talking about[/url] when they use the Shylockian term:

“But one resignation was not enough to make a pound of flesh.”

Huh?

Scott

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Anybody have any idea what the [url=http://www.ticotimes.net/2015/04/10/president-solis-sacks-technology-minister-over-media-gag-law]Tico Times is talking about[/url] when they use the Shylockian term:

“But one resignation was not enough to make a pound of flesh.”

Huh?

Scott

[/quote]

Perhaps Solis knew the “infection” went deeper then just one person and wanted to be sure the problem didn’t return as well as send a message. Give him credit for removing those responsible for this… or keep an eye on him for being behind it either passively or directly. Either way it’s a wake up call to remain vigilant here that things that only seem to happen in “other” countries are possible here if we let our guard down.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.