Are we guests?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Are we guests?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    alexander69

Greed,
    manipulation
    slander laws
    loss of fundamental values
    This is what is killing the lifestyle here and eliminating the smiles.

This is true in every corner of the world. It just keeps spreading like cancer. Stand tall!!
    Alexander

[quote=”2bncr”]Besides the crime, the higher cost of living (with less demand for goods – go figure) what upsets me most is the changing of the culture. There is a move toward traditional values in the US (small move but a move none the less). I first came here about 20 years ago and the difference in cultural values is significant. It’s not all smiles like it used to be. Materialism and greed are running rampant.

20 years ago we would marvel at the tranquil calm Tico and think, how can they be so happy with so little. Then the cars started to pile in. Yes not so long ago there was no traffic here. You could drive anywhere any time of the day without traffic and that included san Jose. When the Ticos started to drive we realized that the quickest way to make a calm Tico an macho monster was to put the behind the wheel!

To side track, walking has its rewards and those are that you earned your arrival. Driving is cheating you way to your destination. Do you see many people happily driving somewhere. Take a moment to look at driver’s faces – stressful.

You see a lot more happy walkers that is for sure.
    Man I miss the traditional values. Arias and the new woman are moving this country to be the US and what is worse, it is the same bunch a cronies that are strangling the life out of the average Tico. When the cost of building and good is down in the states and from what I hear pretty much worldwide, and the demand here is low (jut go into your local hardware store and witness the empty sheles9 the cost of living and building here keeps going up.
    It sure isn’t supply and demand. So what is it. I’ll tell you what, It the greedy few that control the markets in Costa Rica.

But since the asinine slander laws here have everybody afraid to name names the situation perpetuates itself.

Greed,
    manipulation
    slander laws
    loss of fundamental values
    This is what is killing the lifestyle here and eliminating the smiles.[/quote]

Andrew
    Keymaster

Isn’t it “the greedy few” who control the markets everywhere?

Scott

orcas0606
    Participant

[quote=”ticorealtor”]My situation is a little different, since we moved back for family reasons its not like we are visitors. After the first week and everyone stopped by to say their hellos it is back to the normal life. How ever what really amazed me and my wife is how much Ticos think we are the crazy ones moving back. Most Ticos would not move back for family they would rather live in the U.S. and just send money back if needed. Ticos among Ticos would rather live the high life in the states than take care of their own family.[/quote]

Most Ticos that I know who live or have lived in the US have done so by necesity and not choice. Ticos (Latinos) in the US these days are unwanted and uninvited guests and they are well aware of it. They really don’t think that busting their ass washing dishes or picking oranges for slave wages is the “good life”. The great majority are awaiting the day they can pack their bags and come home. You should know how important family ties still are for Ticos. At least in my case.

Andrew
    Keymaster

This has certainly been my experience also orcas0606 …

Most of my Costa Rican friends joke about how “Ticos don’t travel well” meaning that if they do go to the USA or Canada to work for whatever reason, a big percentage of them do return.

We can glorify anything but the fact of the matter is that the “good life” doesn’t exist for the vast majority of any population anywhere.

Scott

wspeed1195

[quote=”orcas0606″][quote=”ticorealtor”]My situation is a little different, since we moved back for family reasons its not like we are visitors. After the first week and everyone stopped by to say their hellos it is back to the normal life. How ever what really amazed me and my wife is how much Ticos think we are the crazy ones moving back. Most Ticos would not move back for family they would rather live in the U.S. and just send money back if needed. Ticos among Ticos would rather live the high life in the states than take care of their own family.[/quote]

Most Ticos that I know who live or have lived in the US have done so by necesity and not choice. Ticos (Latinos) in the US these days are unwanted and uninvited guests and they are well aware of it. They really don’t think that busting their ass washing dishes or picking oranges for slave wages is the “good life”. The great majority are awaiting the day they can pack their bags and come home. You should know how important family ties still are for Ticos. At least in my case.[/quote]I’m a const. worker.used to build homes in the 90’s.paid the rate,up to 16 an hr for A carpenter.
    now,me,the guy that can build anything can’t make 12 an hr.
    do you know what mr. american tells this american?
    I can get a mexican.and to their face I tell them I hope their wife and kids die in an accident.
    ask me,should I care for him who sells my rights to an ILLEGAL immigrant?
    I’ve been back and forth doing the corp. in costa,saving,planning and looking at being A member in A community.
    not someone sneaking across the border and robbing A culture.to bring it back to my home country in 8-10 yrs. to live happily ever after.
    and the Tico,s I know who are here,and have met,they are legal with their green cards and american wives and husbands.i know several in s.Fl. here.
    not A single one has come through the border like A rat.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I certainly feel sorry for your own personal experience orcas0606 and your loss of income because of “illegal” immigrants but, we must also remember most Mexican believe that their North American neighbours robbed Texas, New Mexico, and California from Mexico – that’s 525,000 square miles of territory…

That’s an an area 26 times larger than Costa Rica!

If you include other lands “lost” by Mexico to the USA in Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma then you’re talking about Mexico losing 55% of its territory…

If you were a Mexican, how would you feel about that?

Scott

sprite

[quote=”Scott”]I certainly feel sorry for your own personal experience orcas0606 and your loss of income because of “illegal” immigrants but, we must also remember most Mexican believe that their North American neighbours robbed Texas, New Mexico, and California from Mexico – that’s 525,000 square miles of territory…

If you include other lands “lost” by Mexico to the USA in Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma then you’re talking about Mexico losing 55% of its territory…

Scott[/quote]

I also sympathize with loss of income to cheaper labor, either imported or exported. I prefer to place the blame on an inherently unfair and destructive monetary system and an economy of scarcity rather than on nationalism. As long as we are forced to compete with each other for scarce currency, we will never focus on the true destructive tool used against us; the banks.

The Mexican laborer should be your colleague and not your enemy. But the Owners want to keep us at each others’ throats and off balance.

wspeed1195

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”Scott”]I certainly feel sorry for your own personal experience orcas0606 and your loss of income because of “illegal” immigrants but, we must also remember most Mexican believe that their North American neighbours robbed Texas, New Mexico, and California from Mexico – that’s 525,000 square miles of territory…

Scott[/quote]

I also sympathize with loss of income to cheaper labor, either imported or exported. I prefer to place the blame on an inherently unfair and destructive monetary system and an economy of scarcity rather than on nationalism. As long as we are forced to compete with each other for scarce currency, we will never focus on the true destructive tool used against us; the banks.

The Mexican laborer should be your colleague and not your enemy. But the Owners want to keep us at each others’ throats and off balance.[/quote]the off balance is set in the form of the americans who hire them over americans,for the gain of money.
    they are selling america.mexico will regain it at some point.they’ve gotten control of several elements in our society.
    they are illegal,and yet they’ve got rights and live with our liberties.as their cloak and protection.

sprite

Forget about rights. That is a myth, like god, carefully crafted and applied to keep you off balance. How could anyone guarantee rights? Could they guarantee it with printed words on a piece of paper? How many historic examples do you need to read where wealth and power trump any written set of laws or so-called rights?

There has never been a democracy. Money permeates and spoils everything. People have always gravitated to slavery in one form or another, to following dictatorial leaders, kings and queens and most recently, systems of economic slavery.

National borders, religions, and racial loyalties are used to keep us separated and contentious with each other so that the powerful few can continue to consolidate their control and keep the advantage.Drop the brainwashed attitude and you will be less angry and unhappy. Once you see the game, even if you are trapped into playing one of the billions of losing roles, you can take some consolation in knowing you are at least not blind any longer. In my view, most people are not only slaves, they are blind slaves.

orcas0606
    Participant

Hey Scott. It’s not me orcas06 who is crying about ilegals stealing their jobs. In fact, I rather sympathise with them and understand the situation that they are in. US labor in many cases has priced themselves out of the market with a lot of help of the unions.

[quote=”Scott”]I certainly feel sorry for your own personal experience orcas0606 and your loss of income because of “illegal” immigrants but, we must also remember most Mexican believe that their North American neighbours robbed Texas, New Mexico, and California from Mexico – that’s 525,000 square miles of territory…

Scott[/quote]

wspeed1195

[quote=”orcas0606″]Hey Scott. It’s not me orcas06 who is crying about ilegals stealing their jobs. In fact, I rather sympathise with them and understand the situation that they are in. US labor in many cases has priced themselves out of the market with a lot of help of the unions.

Scott[/quote][/quote]it’s not crying.it’s an american forsaking others.giving work to people who do nothing but take.
    kids in public schools now wait in class for the translator to say things twice and 3 times.
    if you think that it’s ok for a taxpayer to suffer because a non taxpaying citizen gets his work then thats A sad statement and A blight to your character.
    whats wrong with their country and their politics now flows to us as A result of their being here.
    I hope they follow through with giving jobs and guns to people to stop them on the border.
    any job right now is A good job,and that would be fun to boot.

sprite

[quote=”orcas0606″]Hey Scott. It’s not me orcas06 who is crying about ilegals stealing their jobs. In fact, I rather sympathise with them and understand the situation that they are in. US labor in many cases has priced themselves out of the market with a lot of help of the unions. [/quote]

Unions only try to protect their member workers against abuses from corporate employers regardless of damage to business goals. Corporations only follow the mandate to make profit without regard to damage done to workers or society. It is a natural and destructive state of confrontation caused by competition for scarce money. Neither side is more to blame than the other. Instead of removing unions from the equation (which is what has been done)removing money from the equation would cease the confrontational relationship. Can you even imagine an economic system based on resource management as opposed to one based on money and scarcity?

As long as the current system is in place, problems will be international in nature and scope as the world economy evolves. The plan is to dissolve national borders and have a world of slaves working for the same subsistent wages. We are well on the way to that end. I don’t see how attempting to stop migrant workers at current borders would do much to address the real issue of world dominance by international banks. In any case, you need not do anything because eventually, wages everywhere will even out and there will be little incentive for workers to leave for other countries.

2bncr

Scott, the “imperialist” card? You being a Brit should know a lot about that. What do they say about people who come from a glass houses?

This thread has gone way off topic. However, should US illegal aliens behave as guests in the US? I certainly don’t view them as guests, and don’t treat them as guest either. And that also goes for US legal aliens. What is this guest myth all about? Why the seperation attitude. Elitism, disguised “we know better than the Ticos” syndrome. yes when it comes to building and technology the developed world knows better. Ah, but when it comes to living, I’ll take my cup of life in Costa Rica any day. The problem is the cup is being degraded by Western values.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.