Are CR customs friendlier to Gringos bringing belongings?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Are CR customs friendlier to Gringos bringing belongings?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    maxdevil

I need to know if Costa Rica customs are friendlier to Gringos bringing their personal belongings and (used) car to CR at retirement? CR used to have laws allowing Americans, Canadians and Europeans retiring in CR to bring their personal belongings and cars without charging customs fees (taxes), but stopped doing it several years ago. Now that Ecuador, Nicaragua and a few other South/Central American countries have picked up the slack, will CR reinstate “duty free” for personal belongings and (used) cars? I have 5 years to wait before I retire in CR permanently, and of course such change in CR legislation would help tremendously. Maxine de Villefranche

jdocop

post removed so as not to offend any forum members.

costaricafinca
    Participant

There was speculation that this could be in the works, at least no duty on the the importation of a personal vehicle, but until it acually happens, who knows…..

maravilla

it’s supposed to be signed into law before Oscar leaves office in may, so we will just have to wait.

soldier

I’m keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath; and hope Costa Rica will feel the international pressure, to reinstitute the previous duty free legislation. I stll have four years before retiring permanently to Costa Rica, the duty savings will be huge. Hopefully, Oscar signs the legislation before his departure in May!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.