APO Mail Service at San Jose American Embassy

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum APO Mail Service at San Jose American Embassy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kelvinowensr
    Participant

Here is a question for retired US military personnel in Costa Rica: Does anyone in this group use the Army Post Office (APO) mail privileges? I saw this on the following web site:

http://sanjose.usembassy.gov/consfaq.html#apo

“If you are are retired from the military and are a holder of a U.S. military identification card, you can obtain Army Post Office privileges through the Embassy. In order to obtain these privileges, you need to bring your U.S. military identification card and Form DD-214 to the Embassy reception desk (located in the main entrance of the Embassy) between 12:00 PM and 3:00 PM Monday through Friday.”

If you are using this service, does it include all mail, parcels, etc., or is it limited to a smaller group – maybe just letters?

Thank you for your replies.

scottbenson

hmm good question,

I will check on this, I work in the Paragauyan US embassy and I have never seen anyone that is not from the embassy use the mail service. The problem will be the issue of clearance into the embassy compound.

Also all of the APOs are now being switched over to DPOs.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I have a friend who is a retired U.S. Navy reservist and lives in Costa Rica. He receives U.S. mail at the embassy at no charge. It’s my understanding from him that there is a limit of one pound for any one item. The mail is transported in a diplomatic courier pouch and does not go through U.S. or Costa Rican Customs or other security.

An American carrying a U.S. passport has no difficulty gaining access to the U.S. embassy in San Jose without significant delay (like maybe a minute or two).

scottbenson

I just talked to the DPO here in Paraguay and the issue is that you can recive mail however it can only be 1st class mail and only letters no boxes. This is the rule for APOs but since all of the counties are switching to DPOs the rules might change in the future. For the better or worst who knows?

Here in Paraguay we only get mail once a week so they are getting more fussy on what comes into the DPO.

Also you will have to pass the security check from the RSO and show your military ID.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Scott, I think you’ve just broken this forum’s record for TLAs.

maravilla

TLAs????? Que es?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

“TLA” — a three-letter acronym for “Three-Letter Acronym”.

maravilla

Duh! I should’ve figured that one out! thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.