Any experience resurfacing brick ?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Any experience resurfacing brick ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Remodeling an old home wich has some walls made of red brick about 12″x 8″. It has originally been stained and a polyruethane applied, about 20 years ago. Does anyone know if this can only be sanded down to refinish it or is there some product that can be applied right over it that isn´t paint ?

opabh

Charlie
    If it is inside You can sandblast , Or out side Sand and water blast and injoy the look of brick again ,then seal it with a clear seal
    OPA

Charlie

Thanks it is brick inside. I have sanded the brick which was a chore. I bougt some nitrocellulose added thinner and a small bottle of stain , man it left the brick looking great. I tried to get the brick sanded to natural color but it was already sealed and stained long ago, I couldnt get it all off, so I went the route I took. Thanks for responding .

guru

Solvents such a thinner should not be used on brick, especially indoors. Most thinners contain a mixture of substances which are carcenogins over the long haul and can cause liver and other organ failure in the short run. If the brick is porus then the solvent may be absorbed and gas out over a long period of time. While I am one that has used a lot of and like the slightly sweet smell of lacquer thinner it can be VERY bad for you.

Cleaning with high pressure water, grit mixes and so on are quite benign and do the job. You probably won’t find it in CR but in the US their are contractors that use ground dry ice as grit. It is ground, blasted and then it dissapears in an invisible cloud of CO2. All that is left is the product that was removed.

Charlie

Oh no, now i am worried. There are 2 walls in one bedroom about 4x 8 feet each, and 50% of the walls in the living room area which is about 30 x 15 feet. So even with the laquer, these bricks can release gases ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.