Anti-Malaria medications in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Anti-Malaria medications in Costa Rica

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rankingee

Hola everyone,

I will be visiting Mal Pais in two weeks and got some Chloroquine from my doctor, mainly after reading on the CDC website that it should be used in Costa Rica.

Has anyone else out there used this or a similar medication, or none at all?

Any feedback would be greatly welcomed.

thanks,

rich

Andrew
    Keymaster

I grew up taking anti-malarial drugs in West Africa but have never taken an anti-malarial drug in Costa Rica and I don’t know anybody else here that does. But, that of course doesn’t help your drug companies make any money.

According to “Children are very sensitive to this medicine” and the side effects include, Muscle weakness, Confusion, changes in behavior, Fainting,
    Vision changes, Severe nausea or vomiting, Skin rash, Unusual bleeding or bruising, Ringing in the ears or trouble hearing. Upset stomach, nausea, loss of appetite, Mild drowsiness or dizziness, Dry mouth, Hair loss or change in hair color “

And “Avoid drinking alcohol while taking chloroquine.”

Sounds great!

Scott Oliver
    Founder

steve80545

The side effects sound worse than the disease.

rankingee

Just an update. Both myself and my daughter took the once a week anti-malaria medication yesterday prior to our trip to MalPais in a couple of week and had no problems what so ever! So come and get us mosquitos.

I will keep you informed.

thanks,

rich

koty

Is there a serious concern with Malaria in this (or any) part of Costa Rica? I have only heard of concern near the Nicaragua border up by Tortuguera and perhaps a passing concern down by Panama Anyone else have any information? Going there in 9 days with my 3 year old down by Puerto Viejo and then again by Quepos.

Koty

*Lotus

I hate to give “medical” advice but I really don’t think malaria is of any concern and in the 5 or so years we have been going there and at times we have stayed for 6 weeks I have not ran into anyone who even brought this up. I think the data will back this up check how many malaria cases were reported last year. More of a concern is dengue which has begun to be a bit of a problem, I have met at least one person who had contracted this and the reports of infection are significant enough to consider this disease. It seems the beach areas have more of a risk, seems it is much less of a problem in the higher elevations, although dengue is spread when a asedes mosquito bites someone who is infected and then bites someone else, so densely populated areas can have larger out breaks. I don’t seem to get bitten much but my girl friend attracts them like crazy! A little prevention goes a long way bring a mosquito net, off deep woods and cover up a little when possible.

rankingee

No serious concern but I was just following the advice of the Center for Disease control (CDC) and a couple of other travel medical websites which were consistent in their recommendations, especially for the area around Mal Pais. As I said, I had absolutely no side effects from the anti-malaria medication so I will just be decreasing any risk that may be out there.

rich

jasman

I would worry more about Dengue than either typhoid or malaria, which are really practically non-existent in Costa Rica, despite what the CDC says. Dengue is very serious, one form is deadly, and there is no vaccine for it. But it is relatively easy to avoid.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Our dengue fever article is at Just in case you didn’t notice it…

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Andrew
    Keymaster

This article moved here by Scott

Posted Mar 21,2006 10:28 AM sknowles

I took Chloroquine when I went to Belize about 2-3 years ago and also when I went to Costa Rica in Feb.06 mainly based on the CDC guidelines. I didn’t have any problem with the medication. I also did not find any problems with the flying insects while in Costa Rica but Belize is a haven for the bugs. I think Malaria is a disease no one would want so do not make your decision without really considering the options. I think you need to consider where you will be in Costa Rica, when you will be there, and what you will be doing before saying yea or nay regarding the medication. All medications must list all possible side effects. Usually the top two or three listed are the most often experienced.

Edited on Mar 21, 2006 10:30

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.