Another Chinese recall

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Another Chinese recall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    happygirl

… this time it is 1.5 million Thomas the Tank wooden railway engines, a favourite toy of children (especially little boys), because of lead in the paint. This recall applies to the US and Canada. I don’t know about Costa Rica, but time will tell..

bradbard

We should be grateful to the Chinese for beginning to accept responsibility for a particular problem, finding the people responsible and sentencing them to death.

Shame we don’t do that in the USA

Take a look at http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2007/06/munitions_dumping_at_sea.php

Where it speaks of “It is no secret that the U.S. military has used the ocean as trashcan for munitions in the past. Peter discussed at the Old DSN how federal lawmakers were pressing the US Army to reveal everything it knows about a massive international program to dump chemical weapons off homeland and foreign shores. “The Army now admits that it secretly dumped 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard agents into the sea, along with 400,000 chemical-filled bombs, land mines and rockets and more than 500 tons of radioactive waste – either tossed overboard or packed into the holds of scuttled vessels.”

And you can see a photo of “The SS William Ralston filled with 301,000 mustard gas bombs and 1,500 1-ton canisters of Lewsite — sinks in the Pacific off San Francisco in 1958 (Photo courtesy of the U.S. Army).”

And we think lead paint on a toy truck is dangerous?

You can see some in-depth stuff at
    http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-chemdumping-stories,1,534800.storygallery?ctrack=1&cset=true

More info at http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-01-weapons-ocean_x.htm

Has anybody in the USA been held responsible for the dumping of these highly toxic, deadly WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTION off the coast of the USA?

happygirl

I understand what you are saying, and I am in complete agreement with you. However, I think it is also our responsibility to protect our children as best we are able. Personally, I hope the death penalty is not imposed, even though this is a serious crime. I don’t think the Chinese care one way or another about North Americans, and the “death penalty” is just to save face, so that we will continue to buy their goods.

Peg

Check your toothpaste again. Five ounce tubes of Colgate toothpaste have been recalled. The tubes in question were sold in U.S. discount stores in Pa, Ny, NJ, & Md. The toothpaste was packaged in South Africa, and that should be printed on the side of the tube. These tubes contain the same poison that’s in anti-freeze originating in China as before.

happygirl

Guess we had better go back to using good old baking soda!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yes, as long as you’re confident of what’s in the box.

maravilla

Or use Tom’s of Maine or Burt’s Bees toothpaste. Baking soda is bad for your teeth because it is abrasive and will wear down the enamel on your teeth. Better to stick to organic brands, or at least brands that don’t mass produce or use ingredients that are suspect (I hope!)

Alfred

Peg, The toothpaste was “allegedly” made in South Africa. I saw the box on Television this morning, and “South Africa” was misspelled on the label, along with other words. You think they would know how to spell their own country’s name if it had been made there. It smacks of China again, where misspellings are rampant on packaging and manuals.
    Did anyone else notice, there was no mention of any investigation?

*Lotus

I thought the same thing Alfred. Bradbard now you really have gone to far to suggest we actually thank the Chinese government…I hope you were kidding. I wonder if the US government was to get something “right” would you be writing a letter of thanks to George and co.?

happygirl

Alfred, How was South Africa spelled?

Alfred

If I remember correctly it was “South Afrlica” or “South Aflica.” I’m going to Google it now and post anything i find.

Alfred

Peg, This is the FDA release I jus found.

FDA Home Page | Search FDA Site | FDA A-Z Index | Contact FDA

Firm Press Release
    FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.

Counterfeit Colgate Toothpaste Found
    Allison Klimerman 212-310-3770
    Tom Paolella 212-310-2774

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — New York, New York — June 14, 2007 — The Colgate–Palmolive Company today warned that counterfeit toothpaste falsely packaged as “Colgate” has been found in several dollar-type discount stores in four states: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. There are indications that this product does not contain fluoride and may contain Diethylene Glycol. The Company stated that it does not use, nor has ever used, Diethylene Glycol as an ingredient in Colgate toothpaste anywhere in the world.

The counterfeit toothpaste can be easily recognized because it is labelled as “Manufactured in South Africa.” Colgate does not import toothpaste into the United States from South Africa. In addition, the counterfeit packages examined so far have several misspellings including: “isclinically” “SOUTH AFRLCA” “South African Dental Assoxiation”.

Counterfeit toothpaste is not manufactured or distributed by Colgate and has no connection with the Company whatsoever. Colgate is working closely with the US FDA to help to identify those responsible for the counterfeit product.

Consumers who suspect they may have purchased counterfeit product, can call Colgate’s toll-free number at 1 800 468 6502.

Alfred

Just a footnote to my above post. If a country of manufacture was really making the counterfeit product, would they use their own county’s name on it? And again, don’t you at least think they would know how to spell it correctly?
    Something is wrong with this picture. We’ll just have to see if Colgate and the FDA will be “working closely” to get to the bottom of this.

Peg

Thanks Alfred.

I’ve been using Colgate toothpaste all my life, and that’s a long time, so I didn’t want to have to switch. There are so many things I have stopped eating or using because of recalls lately. I’ve used Colgate in the little squeeze bottles for the last couple of years, they are made in the UK. I’m not holding my breath for the FDA to get to the bottom of anythng, it’s because they only screen about 1% of the products that are coming into this country that we are having this problem. Hell, they can’t even keep track of the things manufactured or grown in this country.

artedwards

In my humble opinion I think we should try and not buy anything made in China. So many things being produced there are either of very poor quality or have bad ingredients in them. I’ve had what looked like well made tools from China break without putting undo forces while using them, as an ex-mechanical engineer they look like built in flaws. Perhaps it is their way to have a war without firing a shot. Who said I’m being paranoid????
    Art

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.