an open letter to Scott Oliver

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum an open letter to Scott Oliver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    smekuly

Scott

after reading your recent article referring to the unhapppy subscriber and american politics I sat and thought for a while about your point of view and also your unhappy subscribers point of view to try just for a moment get a subjective viewpoint of both sides.

and truthfully although I would NOT agree with his use of language.

(in my opinion when you have to resort to either violence or obscene language you reveal an ignorance.)

I understand mr subscribers point of view

you may be right about your opinions and this is your toy so you can do as you please

BUT

it’s states welovecostarica.com and under this guise its often misleading when the owner uses the traffic and membership thats signs up under this we love costa rica theme to be subjected to your american politics.

It would be the same if i started up a forum

how to bake tamales in costa rica….

and i build a large list of subscribers

and interject my views on american politics

the same way these idiots celebrities when they are famous use that as a sounding board for their own agendas.

so

while personally I agree 100% with your observations

I disagree using this forum as your constant sounding board of how shitty america is.

(although I agree america is indeed shitty 🙂 )

why don’t you put up another forum and call it

American politics

so you actually give people the honest choice to read this and engage.

on a side note I appreciate all the work you do to maintain this site as I know there are costs involved in doing this

thanks

waggoner41

[quote=”smekuly”]
    it’s states welovecostarica.com and under this guise its often misleading when the owner uses the traffic and membership thats signs up under this we love costa rica theme to be subjected to your american politics. [/quote]

I must agree with smekuly that seperaton of our discussion of U.S. politics might be better separated from our responses to those about living in Costa Rica if it is feasable.

I have other sites on which I discuss U.S. politics and economics and as these things affect us here I respond.

I am sure that those who come here for information are looking for direction and have little interest in the situation in the U.S. They are living in that mess and probably looking for escape rather than a rehash of our opinions.:lol:

I would agree with the two previous member’s posts. More often than not, I visit other Costa Rica sites and forums, for information and interaction with other expats. I am apolitician, and have no desire to participate or interact on politicial issues. Bottom line, Costa Rica information, advice, and productive interaction should be the mantra. I personally know of two friends/expats who fomerly were members of this site, and departed from their membership; with negative feelings. I have a trial members, so I will just wait until I expire.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great feedback – thank you for your comments.

Scott

PS. I have never labelled the US as a “shitty country” and as you’ll note from my comments, I have as much scorn for European politicians as I do for most US politicians.

aguirrewar

What goes around, COMES around

I have been a member for close to 5 years and have less than 1,000 posts or replies (combined)

lest be not afraid to subject Mr. Scott to the same scrutiny he and others do it in this forum

Fair is Fair after all, isn’t it!!

warren

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”waggoner41″] I must agree with smekuly that seperaton of our discussion of U.S. politics might be better separated from our responses to those about living in Costa Rica if it is feasable.

I have other sites on which I discuss U.S. politics and economics and as these things affect us here I respond.

I am sure that those who come here for information are looking for direction and have little interest in the situation in the U.S. They are living in that mess and probably looking for escape rather than a rehash of our opinions.:lol:[/quote]

Perfectly expressed – I wish we could convive “el Jeffe” Scott to expand the “rules” to exclude political bashing of US, European, Iranian, etc., politics (on either side).

My personal preference would be to extend the restriction to “gated communities” but we would loose Sprite, and although I seldom agree with him, I would hate to loose his perspective because it is great fodder for discussion, which is what this forum is supposed to be all about.

Even though we are at the political extremes, I would welcome Sprite into my home and enjoy his social company, share my home, my wine and my food – [b]all he has to do is “buzz” at the gate and I’ll let him in![/b]

And Sprite, in addition to the great song by the Beetles, please remember that everything points to Heaven being a “gated community”.

sueandchris

Well said. There are so many amazing subjects about living here in Costa Rica. This site was pure gold for me as I navigated the challenges of moving here. I would love to see more input on the Forum about life in Costa Rica and less vituperative language.

I know that somewhere out there, every day, is a new person who is dreaming of life here and looking for guidance, information and encouragement. Perhaps we might keep them in mind as we post on Scott’s excellent Forum.

Versatile

I come to this forum to read about Costa Rica. The other stuff turns me away. I would rather read road directions than the drivel.

costaricafinca
    Participant

As a Canadian, I don’t read the American political posts…

Ronny

I agree with Costaricafinca and Versatile. It would be nice if the forum was about Costa Rica, as the Website suggests.
    I’m really not interested in reading about US politics or conspiracy theories, so rarely read this forum anymore.

agarcia

Yes I agree it’s time to clean up the forum. Please go ahead and ban sprite. 😀

clewis

Totally agree..I came here in search of information about the country with the intent of moving there. I too have known others who have left here because of politics and the rants of a few here that seem to post on every topic just to turn the discussion back to another agenda. I would like to be welcomed to Costa Rica and not be portrayed as the “Dreaded Gringo”. I appreciate all who keep their postings friendly and helpful. I would like to see a sense of friendly community here for both members and visitors.

I have to say that I used to log on everyday to read the new posts, catch up on the old ones and post a few myself. I would love to feel that way again, but I will throw my hat into the ring as well to say that the political posts and what some one called ” conspiracy theories” have driven me away for the most part. I used to tell anyone that would benefit from WLC to join up, but sadly it has been a long time since I have felt comfortable doing so.
    I for one will be very happy to throw in my two centavos in to any discussions about my couple of years living here, when and if we can all get back to keeping this about helpful information on living and moving here. Lets all hope that that happens.

sprite

All the posts are labeled as to the subject matter. If a posting does not interest you, why the hell do you read it? Some of you not only read these posts , YOU PARTICIPATE IN THEM! And now you don’t think it is appropriate?

What is happening here is that there are members who do not tolerate opposing viewpoints on any subject, least of all politics and religion. These “types” who follow political correctness like a religion, tend to mostly be conservative and conservatives tend to dislike opposition rather than appreciate it.

We seem to have a full spectrum of interests here and I see a connection between Costa Rica and the other nations from which expats come. If you do not, then stick to the postings about where to find a dentist or which stores carry your favorite peanut butter. I even read those sometimes.

Versatile

Sure would be nice that for every Gloom and Doom,the sky is falling etc. etc. we see a post on a town in CR or about the customs of CR etc. More content about Costa Rica is what i desire. I can read all about the USA and the world at thousands of other internet sites.
    I can see the benefit of threads about how taxation etc affects expat’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.