Americans and Ticos traveling for short stays in Cuba…What is required?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Americans and Ticos traveling for short stays in Cuba…What is required?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vmc

[b]Can anyone shed some light on this? VISAs, and Airlines, etc…?
    [/b]

davidd

[quote=”Vmc”][b]Can anyone shed some light on this? VISAs, and Airlines, etc…?
    [/b][/quote]

well as an american its still illegal to travel to the cuba. so no visa 🙂 what you do is buy a ticket and they will not stamp your passport

how do I know this.. I have traveled and even rented an apartment for 1 year in havana.. great experience..

Ticos are ok although I am not sure how this works

Vmc

David, I THINK I understand what you are trying to say there….YES, as an American it is illegal to travel to Cuba, FROM U.S. soil, but not illegal to travel there. (If I understand correctly)

I guess my only other question is what is required of a TICO to travel there?

And here’s the REALLY dumb question….What currency is most widely used there?

Andrew
    Keymaster

The information or ‘warning’ on the [url=http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/cuba.html]State Department website[/url] is pretty clear….

It does NOT say “it is illegal to travel to Cuba, FROM U.S. soil” – it states quite clearly that:

“[b]Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens and others under U.S. jurisdiction.[/b]”

davidd

traveling to cuba for Americans is illegal.. under the current law..

sweikert I dont expect you to ever make the trip until it becomes legal since your such a law abiding citizen..:)

I have traveled cuba from here costa rica about 27 times in the past 5 years as well as live there in 1999.

they do not stamp your passport.. because they understand.

you do take a risk as in all risks.. but then again.. as an american one cannot complete a normal week without breaking some kind of law in the U.S.

the odds ares slim to have any issues

they operate with 2 currency’s there.. a local as well as a tourist type of currency.

and the exchange is terrible.. your better off.. exchanging your fiat dollars and get euros.. then you can convert the euros once you are there..

great experience.. and I would recommend you visit before it becomes all Americanized.

if you want more info.. you can PM me off the public board as I will not share inside info with some of the people that visit this board

I will say this a friend of mine did travel to Cuba and even though they did not stamp his passport about 6 months later the state department sent him a notified letter about the violation and advised him not to travel to Cuba.. he almost pissed his trousers LOL but I think its more Americans that still live in the U.S. as opposed to living outside the country.. not sure

when in doubt you can always ask sweikert since he knows everything about everything :D:D:D:D:D

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Scott”]”[b]Tourist travel to Cuba is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens and others under U.S. jurisdiction.[/b]”[/quote]
    The key word in that sentence is “tourist”. It is a loophole in US law that travel to Cuba by Americans for other purposes is in fact legal, and numerous travel tour companies offer travel packages for “cultural exchanges”. I was tempted to take one myself but they tend to be QUITE expensive and in a few years the whole silly American embargo thing will no doubt be lifted. My guess as to when: a few minutes after the remaining Castro brother no longer registers a pulse.[/quote]

CHERYLJK

Sweikert is right. An American can legally travel to Cuba under a cultural exchange program offered by travel agencies in the U.S. He is also right that they are very expensive.

Vmc

I need to go to accompany a Tico with a sort of medical emergency, and nothing more…..we’re TRYING to accomplish this in the States, but the process is more retarded than the Bozo in the White House.

CHERYLJK

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Vmc”]…but the process is more retarded than the Bozo in the White House.[/quote]

You’re a little out of the loop, apparently. GW Bush left office in 2009.[/quote]

That’s pretty much what I said to my brother after I visited the White house last spring, and he asked me if I had seen the idiot who lives there.

davidd

oh yea.. the Muslim king is a good choice god save the queen 🙂

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”Vmc”]…but the process is more retarded than the Bozo in the White House.[/quote]

You’re a little out of the loop, apparently. GW Bush left office in 2009.[/quote]

Vmc

Scott….do YOU have a take on this, mate?

Vmc

Davidd…..PM in your inbox….:D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.