American Builder/Finish Carpenter Seeks Opportunity In CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum American Builder/Finish Carpenter Seeks Opportunity In CR

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carl

Hi everyone, my name is Carl. I’m a single guy who is looking to relocate in CR from Los Angeles CA USA. I am a qualified finish carpenter with a background in engineering, hillside/engineered foundations and project management.

I have worked for several notable celebrities here in the Los Angeles area and can provide many references from both contractors and clients. I am quasi-bi lingual and speak enough Spanish to communicate and get things done (you pretty much have to living and working in Los Angeles, particularly in the building trades)

I am aware of the protectionist laws that forbid foreigners from working in CR, as well as the much lower rates of pay for the type of work I do. I am also aware that these problems can be circumvented depending on the capacity I would be working in, and how I am connected to the company/property I am working with.

I am looking to invest in CR with my time, energy and experience and am open to a variety of prospective situations, such as but not limited to:

Construction Supervisor
    Project management
    Investment Property management
    Carpentry/Cabinet Shop Manager
    Moulding/Millwork Company
    Remodeling/Improvement Business

I am also looking to make new friends in the CR expat community and may be reached on Skype at CarlosmakesMoney.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon!

Andrew
    Keymaster

These problems may be “circumvented” Carl but my Discussion Forum will not be the place where the immigration laws of Costa Rica are “circumvented”.

On a personal note, having been in professional sales and marketing for the past 35 years, you may want to reconsider using ‘CarlosMakesMoney” as your Skype address as this clearly demonstrates a passion for something that most people probably don’t want to see when they hope to hire someone for “engineering, hillside/engineered foundations and project management.”

Scott

Carl

[quote=”Scott”]These problems may be “circumvented” Carl but my Discussion Forum will not be the place where the immigration laws of Costa Rica are “circumvented”.

On a personal note, having been in professional sales and marketing for the past 35 years, you may want to reconsider using ‘CarlosMakesMoney” as your Skype address as this clearly demonstrates a passion for something that most people probably don’t want to see when they hope to hire someone for “engineering, hillside/engineered foundations and project management.”

Scott
    [/quote]

Hi Scott,

I have been a fan of your site for a few years now. Thanks for allowing me to post this, and if I may address your comments:

I am not looking to circumvent any immigration laws, although I will admit I do not know every detail of whatever laws would apply in the prospective situations I outlined in my post, and would leave those details to a qualified CR Abogado. As to my Skype handle, if I were managing a project for an investor, I believe it would be preferable to “CarlosLosesMoney” but I understand the intent of your suggestion.

Also, I would hope that a clearly demonstrated passion is reflected in the photos of the work that I posted on my profile page as opposed to a consuming lust for money. One of the big reasons I want to leave the USA is that I believe the government (and society to a great extent) has become so corrupt because of that reason alone.

Thanks for all the great work you have done informing the world about what living as an expat in CR is really about.

Sincerely,

Carl

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”Carl”][quote=”Scott”]These problems may be “circumvented” Carl but my Discussion Forum will not be the place where the immigration laws of Costa Rica are “circumvented”.

Scott
    [/quote]

Hi Scott,

I have been a fan of your site for a few years now. Thanks for allowing me to post this, and if I may address your comments:

I am not looking to circumvent any immigration laws, although I will admit I do not know every detail of whatever laws would apply in the prospective situations I outlined in my post, and would leave those details to a qualified CR Abogado. As to my Skype handle, if I were managing a project for an investor, I believe it would be preferable to “CarlosLosesMoney” but I understand the intent of your suggestion.

Also, I would hope that a clearly demonstrated passion is reflected in the photos of the work that I posted on my profile page as opposed to a consuming lust for money. One of the big reasons I want to leave the USA is that I believe the government (and society to a great extent) has become so corrupt because of that reason alone.

Thanks for all the great work you have done informing the world about what living as an expat in CR is really about.

Sincerely,
    E
    Carl[/quote]

Nothing to stop you from owning and managing a business in your field of expertise that employs some of the very talented and hardworking carpenters and craftsmen in Costa Rica. Taking the time to share your knowledge, skills, and experience with those you employ would be a benefit to the folks in Costa Rica as well as provide you with an outlet for your time and energy and hopefully provide you with a source of income.
    If done properly you shouldn’t run afoul of the law. Be sure to look into the residency status you seek if that’s your goal and be realistic about your ability to compete with the locals. And as Scott has pointed to be sure that your ownership status of a business and participation does not conflict with a working status that will cause a conflict with Costa Rican law.

Good luck in your efforts to escape America and enjoy a simple relaxed life in CR!

Carl

Hi IMX,

That’s a nice take, thanks. I trained one guy from Oaxaca Mexico in the trades years ago when he first came to the USA, showing him everything I know and he recognized the value of what knowledge I had to offer and soaked it up. Now he’s making a living here and even named one if his sons after me.

Some of the wood species that are indigenous to CR are the most awesome hardwoods on the planet, and are so plentiful as to boggle the mind. I recall one hotel I stayed in Golfitos Bay that had framing members, posts and beams made of cocobola, which is crazy expensive here. I was laughing with amazement when I saw that!

As I mentioned to Scott, I do not know all of the ins and outs of immigration law, and would confer with a knowledgable Abogado before I made any move regarding my future in CR.

Thanks for your comment and suggestions.

Andrew
    Keymaster

FYI… You can see a comprehensive list of the ‘[url=http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/restricted-and-endangered-wood-species/]Restricted and Endangered Wood Species’ here.[/url]

Cocobolo is a stunning looking wood and is listed under Appendix II which means that: “This appendix contains species that are at risk in the wild, but not necessarily threatened with extinction. Species in this appendix are closely regulated, but are typically not as restricted as Appendix I.”

Scott

johnnyh

Hi Carl:
    I’m also from California, actually Tustin in the O.C. I will also be relocating to C.R within one or two years. Since I was born in Port Limon of an American dad and a Costa Rican mother, I can apply for, and what I understand is that I’m already a Costa Rican citizen. I just have to apply for a cedula and a Costa Rican passport.

I know exactly what you are going thru, in that I wonder what the hell I’m doing in California.
    There are quite a few American companies in C.R. of which Gensler Architects, Turner Construction, and I believe Emerson as well. Check them out, possibly in Google Costa Rica. Good luck!
    It helps that I’m bilingual and to boot single, no wife, no kids. Just lucky I guess!

Carl

By the way, if anyone is interested they can search the PhotoBucket image sharing site for cn323 to see hi resolution pics of a few jobs I’ve done.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.