American Builder Seeks Costa Rican Opportunity

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum American Builder Seeks Costa Rican Opportunity

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carl

Hello, I am a builder living in Los Angeles for the last 21 years. I am seeking a foreman/construction supervisor/craftsman position with a development team in Costa Rica. I have been specializing in high-end finish carpentry for the last several years, but I have experience with everything from foundations, concrete/rebar, hillside construction, framing, doors, windows, roofing, tile, maintenance and repairs to new construction. Pictures of some recent jobs can be seen here: http://www.contractorsreference.biz/
    Anyone with any advice, ideas, tips, etc. please contact me thru the above link, and thank you so much.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

This is going to be pretty tough, Carl. Costa Rican law explicitly prohibits foreigners, including legal residents, from competing with Costa Ricans for jobs for which they (Costa Ricans, that is) are qualified, and I’ll bet that there are plenty of qualified Costa Ricans ready to do the kind of work which you seek. What’s more, you will learn that wages in Costa Rica are a mere fraction of what you are used to. The Costa Rican labor law specifies a minimum wage by occupation and most folks in any given occupation work for that minimum wage.

Alvaro

Carl, perhaps you should try to contact Tom Terry in Playas del Coco, Guanacaste. He has a very good construction company called Grupo ConstrucTom (506) 670-0332. He might be interested in giving you a job, but then again, you are an ilegal resident and you would be competing with Costa Ricans as David says. Not to mention that he probably will be able to hire someone with similar skills as yours for a fraction of what you charge for your services. The only advantage is that there is a shortage of construction workers in the country with the increase in development and construction all over the country.

David said: “…the law explicitly prohibits foreigners, including legal residents, from competing with Costa Ricans for jobs which they (Costa Ricans) are qualified…”. Hmmm, kind of what is happening with ilegal residents working as real estate agents all around the country.

Carl

Thanks guys, I am aware of the displacement and compensation factors, low hourly wages, etc. What I am seeking is a position, not a job, to become part of a company or a limited partner of sorts. I’ve been in development for 21 years, I’m not looking for an hourly wage job. Also, I am looking for positive suggestions, versus a laundry list of the obstacles to my goal. Nothing is impossible to an intelligent, motivated person. Thanks for the input.

Carl

Ahh…… such a negative bunch here today. Sounds like someone is afraid of the competition?
    Of course there is room for a finishing carpenter here. Like the European craftsmen that came to America in the early 1900’s, there is a difference in the final quality. Costa Rican craftsmen are usually willing and eager to learn new methods of finishing and as a partner/supervisor, you could be well qualified to teach them. The most common complaint I hear and see is quality of finishing.

As far as finding a company willing to take you on, you would need to dedicate some time and gas to travel to different sites and talk to landowners. Sometimes a landowner doesn’t have the ability to oversee the project, but has the vision of what they want on their land. I think that could make a profitable partnership.

As for taking the place of QUALIFIED Costa Ricans, the good ones have all the work they can handle, and the others could use some guidance to improve.

Good luck,
    Alberto

Alvaro

123456789, I don’t have a problem with competition. I have a problem with illegal residents working in my country. All of those that are legal residents I welcome, I just hate that nowadays any tourist stays in Costa Rica and starts selling real estate.

diego

Carl, There is a severe lack of finish carpentry skill, plumbing and electrical skills. If you can construct a fireplace that vents you are in bussiness. You are needed here so do not let the good little followers and neigh sayers discouarge you. I personally can give you several clients right now.

Carl

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the feedback. There is a specific equation for constructing a fireplace that vents properly, it’s a mathematical relationship between the size of the opening, the firebox, and the diameter and vertical run of the flue. Get one wrong and you have problems.
    I am just looking for the right situation to get into there in Costa Rica, I have been doing this work for 21 years, I could teach what I know to some of the local CR guys, just as I have done with the Latin workers here in Los Angeles, then they would have some of the the skills I do, and could make a better living. It’s all give and take.
    I would welcome any tips or connections you could hook me up with, and thank you.
    Carl

geminigio

Carl, it sounds like you are quite experienced. Costa Developers is a company that may be of some interest to you. They are just under way building over 100 homes at a project called Costa Montanya Try to contact Carlos Flores (Construction Mgr.) or Ricardo Lizano (Project Mgr.). These gentlemen are very professional and maybe they have a position for a man of your experience, it’a worth a try.

ricardo@costadevelopers.com
    jorge@costadevelopers.com

Carl

Hi GeminiGio,

I’m Gemini too. (happy birthday) Thanks for the tip, I just emailed Carlos (mi tocayo!) and Ricardo. We’ll see what transpires. Appreciate the hookup.

Carl

geminigio

My pleaure Carl…I hope everything works out for you in costa Rica

Regards,

Artie Giordano

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.