All about diet in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum All about diet in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    waggoner41

OK, Maravilla, here is your chance to inform us all.
    The idea that we should have a place to discuss diet in Costa Rica comes from 2bncr.

Everyone can contribute their ideas about buing, cooking and eating the foods we can enjoy here.

Not only will it inform those of us who live here but also those who are thinking about or planning a move here.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’m no nutritionist but can confirm one thing…

I have always eaten a huge amount of raw salad as part of my diet every single day but in late November I gave up all animal protein – all pork, chicken, beef, cheese and all dairy products and I gave up eating lamb which I adore…

I still cook the other foods for guests etc., but I am now only eating fish for protein and my grocery bill for December was half of what it normally is ….

Scott

PS. For New Year I also gave up all alcohol and cigars so this could be interesting…

maravilla

you’re asking the Food Fascist to opine about food????? you’ll be sorry!!!

levity aside, i take food very seriously — it can be your medicine or it can kill you. we pretty much eat as Scott does (now) — lots of fruits and veggies, organic whenever possible, meat maybe once of twice a year, some fish and occasionally shrimp for a chinese dish i love.

but basically, my platform is to NOT eat processed foods that contain chemicals, food colorings, or preservatives. there is a world of wonderful things to eat and there is no need to be an experienced cook — Youtube will guide you through the process of making almost anything you want to eat.

no need for cookbooks anymore either — it’s all on the web.

for this new year, i would love it if people just appreciated how wonderful REAL and FRESH food really is.

i read a stat a few years ago that said 90% of all disease is diet-related, so if we all want to live better and longer lives, then eating good food is the way to go.

vache

Chayotes…great for pasta sauces and soups. I like to sautee carrot, chayote,onion, garlic, curry,add broth, and a few other ingredients, simmer, then blend. Add some coconut milk and reheat.
    Very nice flavorful soup. A Madras curry paste is better but curry powder works well.
    I should also mention to peel and core a chayote much like an apple. You can cook them in butter alone if you like and will take a bit longer than a carrot to soften somewhat.
    Great post by the way..Looking forward to other recipes and responses for when you go to the grocery store and wonder how to prepare unknown tropical fruits and veggies.

vache

Limes…maybe someone can help me here for the name of the variety that’s the size of an orange, orange interior sometimes called lemons.
    A good thing to bring down with you is a good quality electric juicer.I use mine all the time and make lime ice cubes then freeze and put in freezer baggies.
    Good for later use for making ceviche, lemonade, margueritas, etc.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Some of you may enjoy Dr. Mercola’s new article this morning.

Dr. Mercola estimates that “… more fruits and vegetables are wasted in the U.S. food system than are actually consumed (52% are wasted versus 48% consumed)” and that “Americans waste 20 pounds of food, per person, per month..” which is truly obscene.

[url=http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/01/07/stop-wasting-food.aspx?]How to Stop Wasting Food[/url]

Scott

davidd

[quote=”Scott”]I’m no nutritionist but can confirm one thing…

I have always eaten a huge amount of raw salad as part of my diet every single day but in late November I gave up all animal protein – all pork, chicken, beef, cheese and all dairy products and I gave up eating lamb which I adore…

I still cook the other foods for guests etc., but I am now only eating fish for protein and my grocery bill for December was half of what it normally is ….

Scott

PS. For New Year I also gave up all alcohol and cigars so this could be interesting…[/quote]

scott

I can understand giving up meats and alcohol. BUT cigars???

how many cigars do you smoke???

I smoke maybe 2 or 3 a week and this is when it’s optimal.

I enjoy a good cigar in an atmosphere of close friends and bonding.

so curious as to your decision in this

david

davidd

just read thru this book

excellent I love this guy
    http://fourhourchef.com/

[quote=”Scott”]I’m no nutritionist but can confirm one thing…

Scott

PS. For New Year I also gave up all alcohol and cigars so this could be interesting…[/quote]

CONGRATULATIONS 😀

maravilla

the lemons that are orange inside are actually sour mandarins. if left on the tree long enough, they will turn orange on the outside, too. i did manage to find a real lemon variety here — the skin is yellow and the pulp nside is a pale yellow as well, and they are very close to the thing we are used to in the States. i had no idea there were so many varieties of citrus available here. i have pineapple oranges, strawberry oranges, blood oranges, navel oranges, valencianas, and two or three other varieties that i haven’t yet identified, plus clementines, tangerines, mesino limes, and key limes. not having to buy citrus here saves me about $3.00 a month! jajaja

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”]you’re asking the Food Fascist to opine about food????? you’ll be sorry!!!

levity aside, i take food very seriously — it can be your medicine or it can kill you. we pretty much eat as Scott does (now) — lots of fruits and veggies, organic whenever possible, meat maybe once of twice a year, some fish and occasionally shrimp for a chinese dish i love.

but basically, my platform is to NOT eat processed foods that contain chemicals, food colorings, or preservatives. there is a world of wonderful things to eat and there is no need to be an experienced cook — Youtube will guide you through the process of making almost anything you want to eat.

no need for cookbooks anymore either — it’s all on the web.

for this new year, i would love it if people just appreciated how wonderful REAL and FRESH food really is.

i read a stat a few years ago that said 90% of all disease is diet-related, so if we all want to live better and longer lives, then eating good food is the way to go.[/quote]

I may not agree with you on many things but one thing we do agree on is processed foods.

The wife is at the feria twice a week and the fruit and vegies are great. She isn’t into making bread but the local panaderia has some good quality baquettes.

Many of our recipes are from the Ticos in the house or off of the internet.

waggoner41

[quote=”maravilla”]the lemons that are orange inside are actually sour mandarins. if left on the tree long enough, they will turn orange on the outside, too. i did manage to find a real lemon variety here — the skin is yellow and the pulp nside is a pale yellow as well, and they are very close to the thing we are used to in the States. i had no idea there were so many varieties of citrus available here. i have pineapple oranges, strawberry oranges, blood oranges, navel oranges, valencianas, and two or three other varieties that i haven’t yet identified, plus clementines, tangerines, mesino limes, and key limes. not having to buy citrus here saves me about $3.00 a month! jajaja[/quote]

I remember that you said that real “American” lemon trees could be purcsed in Orotina and you put a name to them. Tell me again what they call them here.

We are planning a trip to Orotina to purchase a variety of citrus and other fruit trees in April.

charmey
    Participant

Does anyone know where I could buy tofu, dried lentils, garbanzo beans, bulgar wheat, other grains and misc dried beans, etc. I would like to buy nuts such as almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds too that are used in a lot of traditional vegetarian receipes? I am new to the Parrita/Jaco area and have not yet found where I can buy these products, especially in bulk.

maravilla

Those things are readily available in my area, but down there you might want to contact Pura Vida Pantry. She might be able to help you. also check the macros — they carry some of those things. almost all grocery stores carries every bean you would want. seeds and nuts are plentiful here, grocery stores carry them and the macros have them.

maravilla

when you go to the vivero just ask for yellow sour lemons as opposed to the yellow sweet lemons that are ubiquitous here. i forgot to put those on my list of citrus trees — i have two sweet lemon trees and already off each tree i have given away more than 500 lemons, eaten at least that many, and there are dozens on the ground. the Ticos love the sweet lemons; the gringos won’t touch them, but i think they are great, and they are very high in all the nutrients of a regular sour lemon. you can eat them as you would an orange.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.