Airport in Southern Zone / Real Deal

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Airport in Southern Zone / Real Deal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    2bncr

So is this just more shameless real estate salespeople marketing or is there any truth to it?

Sweetbeee

[quote=”2bncr”]So is this just more shameless real estate salespeople marketing or is there any truth to it?[/quote]

I’ve heard it for a while now, from what I heard, they were to build a new international airport at Palmar Norte, then they said they were to expand the existing airport, so far, I don’t think anything has happened on either front.

I am ambivalent about it as I want the convenience of it cutting out the long travel time from SJO, but I do side with the opposing group in that it does have an impact in both tourism growth and damage to the environment from tourism and air travel pollution and noise (I work for an airline so can vouch for it) and would damage the very delicate eco system in and around there.

The push for it to be there was to make it available to Northern Panama and Southern Costa Rica and I heard at one point that Panama would be pitching in for it as well. As it stands now, I’m still crossing country…..

costaricafinca
    Participant

Daveed Hollander, quotes in his article on the home page [i]”…why the announcement that a new international airport will open in the South Pacific in 2014″[/i]
    What announcement?
    When?
    Please let us know, where to find this information.

costaricabill
    Participant

…………..when pigs fly!

Andrew
    Keymaster

[b]This response in from Daveed Hollander’s office:
    [/b]
    This news has been in the newspapers, a press conference was given by the Civil Aviation Authority and it was also published in La Gaceta.

Here are some of the news stories – all of which are in Spanish:

1. [ http://www.nacion.com/2010-09-11/ElPais/NotasSecundarias/ElPais2334365.aspx ]

2. [ http://www.elfinancierocr.com/ef_archivo/2011/octubre/02/economia2918082.html ]

3. [ http://www.elfinancierocr.com/ef_archivo/2011/marzo/20/economia2715399.html ]

4. [ http://www.elfinancierocr.com/ef_archivo/2012/febrero/26/economia3083766.html ]

5. [ http://www.prensalibre.cr/pl/nacional/58991-aeropuerto-verde-en-zona-sur-toma-vuelo.html ]

6. [ http://www.asamblea.go.cr/Lists/Noticias/DispForm.aspx?ID=1989 ]

The new Costa Rican airport is supposedly going to be built between the towns of Sierpe and Palmar de Osa in the province of Puntarenas and is set to open in 2014.

The airport will have a 2,400-2,600 meter landing strip which will be large enough to receive Boeing 747s, Airbus A320s and Embraer 190s. The terminal will be large enough to accommodate 150 passengers simultaneously.

Previous plans to build a landing strip long enough to receive transatlantic flights have been put on hold.

==========================================================

Comment from Scott Oliver: I am sure that the Costa Rican government and Daveed Hollander and his team sincerely believe that this airport will be built. The question is who is going to pay for it? Because from what I can see the budget certainly has NOT been approved and I honestly don’t see that happening…

You can download the Executive Decree (.pdf format) # 36226-MOPT of the 12th September 2011 which is a “declaration of public interest” to determine the location and construction of the Southern Zone International Airport in our Download Library at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/snip/126.htm ]

DavidCMurray
    Participant

According to Daveed, “Previous plans to build a landing strip long enough to receive transatlantic flights have been put on hold.”

Has something changed? Are Boeing 747s and Airbus 320s not transatlantic-type aircraft?

2bncr

Daveed mentions the “international Airport” twice in his sales spiel.

The problem with people like me that know truth from sales hype (was that nice enough?) is that those that spin eventually lose street credit.

“Primeros pasos. Por ahora, hablar de plazos depende de una bolita mágica, bromeó Luis Carlos Araya; sin embargo, el funcionario aspira a que, al menos, la pista de aterrizaje esté lista en el 2014.”

“Getting Started. For now, talk of deadlines depends on a [b]magic bill[/b], Luis Carlos Araya [i]joked[/i], however, the official hopes that [u]at least[/u] the runway is ready in 2014.”

That hardly says “that the landing strip will be ready for 2014”

Its say that if there is a magic bill (jajajaja) passed they hope at least the landing strip would be ready in 2014.

Yeah well I hope the CR government drop a 300 pound gold santa claus on my ranch for Christmas 2014

Daveed I got a Frankie that says their will be no International airport serving destinations outside of Central America by the end of 2014… anybody else want to take me up on this bet?

Scott? Anyone?

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”2bncr”]Daveed I got a Frankie that says their will be no International airport serving destinations outside of Central America by the end of 2014… anybody else want to take me up on this bet? Scott? Anyone?[/quote]

I have no bloody idea what a “Frankie” is 2bncr (it’s not a frankfurter is it?) but I do understand why people believe what they read in the newspapers especially when government authorities say something which they feel they might benefit from.

My opinion remains the same as it was in April 2006 when I published ‘[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/944.cfm]Costa Rica’s New International Airport to be Built in the Sierpe Valley – Maybe…[/url]’

In Costa Rica where road projects can be discussed for 30 years before anything happens, the planning for a new international airport will likely take a very long time and I honestly don’t think we’ll see a new international airport in the Southern zone for at least 25 years – if then!

So we’ve got another 19 years to go if I’m correct …

Do I win a “Frankie?”

Scott

bogino
    Participant

After about a dozen trips to CR I finally made my first visit to The Osa 2 years ago followed by another one last year. I’ve now been to all 4 corners of CR and lots of in the middle and I can say without a doubt that The Osa has been the most beautiful. pristine region by far that I have visited and [b]I HOPE[/b] it [b]STAYS[/b] that way. There is no need to turn that region into another Tamarindo type area.

cmcintire
    Participant

[quote=”bogino”]After about a dozen trips to CR I finally made my first visit to The Osa 2 years ago followed by another one last year. I’ve now been to all 4 corners of CR and lots of in the middle and I can say without a doubt that The Osa has been the most beautiful. pristine region by far that I have visited and [b]I HOPE[/b] it [b]STAYS[/b] that way. There is no need to turn that region into another Tamarindo type area.[/quote

Bogino, I could not agree with you more. The OSA is one of the most beautiful places in the world. One of the reasons we bought property in the southern zone was the close proximity the Osa. It would be a travesty if an airport was ever built in that area. The new road has done enough to make it accessible.

2bncr

A Frakie or a Benji (Benjamin Franklin), is a $100 bill.

No you don’t win anything because you agree with me. So why do you allow this shameless spin style marketing on your site. Now will Daveed and his boys take me up on my bet is the question. If not why the sales spin? Put your money where your mouth is Daveed…

I think it has a negative affect on your marketing… hell but what do I know anyways…

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”][b]This response in from Daveed Hollander’s office:
    [/b]
    The airport will have a 2,400-2,600 meter landing strip which will be large enough to receive Boeing 747s, Airbus A320s and Embraer 190s. The terminal will be large enough to accommodate 150 passengers simultaneously.[/quote]

Wouldn’t that be interesting –
    a 747 carrying over 400 people (up to 660 in one configuration) arrives to a terminal that can accommodate 150 passengers. That sure would make it difficult to get your baggage! And what about check-in? Will the new terminal have a small folding table or an actual counter?

I repeat – “when pigs fly”.

2bncr

Yeh Bill and not only when they fly but when they fly right and do not need an international airport in the Osa to dock their pink parkas..

Maybe Daveed has some insight on flying pigs clad in pink parkas as well/ Lets hope it’s a bit more realistic than the OSA airport spiel,,, LOL

Will Frankie meet Daveed? Stay tuned….

Andrew
    Keymaster

Announced on the 29th May 2012, a Spanish firm has been given the US$1 million contract to do an environmental study with regards to the new airport.

You can see the El Financiero article in Spanish [url=http://www.elfinancierocr.com/ef_archivo/2012/junio/03/economia3192203.html]about this here[/url].

Scott

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Announced on the 29th May 2012, a Spanish firm has been given the US$1 million contract to do an environmental study with regards to the new airport.

You can see the El Financiero article in Spanish [url=http://www.elfinancierocr.com/ef_archivo/2012/junio/03/economia3192203.html]about this here[/url].

Scott

[/quote]

$1MM for an environmental study?? I could do that for a LOT less and a LOT faster! Matter of fact—wouldn’t take me more than 5 minutes…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.