Airport Departure Fee Question

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Airport Departure Fee Question

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jerrym
    Participant

Does the airport take a credit card for the $27 (or whatever it is now) departure fee?

I don’t want to take colonies back to the states, so I was wondering if the airport accepted colonies, US dollars and credit cards?

If they accepted a credit card, that would simplify things, and I assume that they do, but I have learned not to assume thing here — check and be sure.

Unfortunantly, after two very enjoyable months here it’s time to go back to the US again, but at least it should be a lot warmer there by now.

Jerry Minchey

Andrew
    Keymaster

I believe they accept US dollars and Costa Rica colones only.

See more in Spanish at [ https://www.hacienda.go.cr/Msib21/Espanol/Direccion+General+de+Tributacion/Tramite+de+salida+del+pais.htm ]
    Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

anneliseped

Yes, you can pay with a VISA card. Last month they would not take Master Card, but there is an Automatic teller machine at the airport.

pweisel1

Just be sure to go to the departure fee line *BEFORE* you get in line to check in 😉

*Lotus

Also you may pre-pay the departure tax upon arrival, just put the receipt in a safe place.

grb1063

You can also pay for it at any Banco de Costa Rica (BCR), which to my knowedge is the only bank that provides this service.

Charlie

. Banco Agricola has always received $$ for the departure tax too/

Imxploring
    Participant

Pay the $26 in cash when you arrive in CR. We normally walk upstairs and pay the exit tax while we’re waiting for the car rental to pick us up. I believe they even have a desk in the arrival/immigration area too. Then tuck the receipt in your wallet or passport. Don’t pay in colones or with a credit card unless you want to be ripped off. They give you a very poor exchange rate if you do so! I’ve arrived at the airport late on departure days and watched as people wait on a long line to pay the tax. So much easier to pay it in advance and NOT be rushed.

Edited on Feb 28, 2008 19:04

drbobmellen

I just returned from Costa rica and I paid the clerk with a visa card. She specifically asked for a VISA card. Hope this is helpfull. It was $26 each. If you use a porter at the air[port for your luggage they are very helpfull facilitating yiur way through the entire departure process. I gave him $5 for the two of us. Bob

jerrym
    Participant

Thanks everyone for all of the information and help. I found out basically what you all told me — that is that they take US dollars, or colones and they accept a Visa card (debit or credit), but they do not accept any other type of credit card (MasterCard, American Express, etc.).

I like the idea of paying with dollars when I arrive. I will do that the next time.

Everyone on this site is so helpful.

Jerry Minchey

Marcia432

There is a surcharge if you use a credit card to pay the tax. You are better off paying in cash–colones or dollars.

I have heard there is a surcharge for using your Visa card but does anyone have exactly how much that is?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.