Airbnb in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Airbnb in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gkbiz

Has anybody had experience using Airbnb to rent a home or room for themselves in CR? Also, any experience with creating a listing to make your property available? Does Airbnb get involved with the tax reporting since they take the rental money, deduct their fee and then send you your share?

Most expats living in Costa Rica don’t bother to pay Costa Rica taxes here as a rule.

I would think if you rent a rental here in Costa Rica through AirbnB, they will keep your landlord on the straight and narrow. They do have a lengthy process for being someone on their system offering a rental as I have heard from several people here.

This is not the open system you might find on Craigslist for such listings. I would think if your are concerned about it, a Paypal account would give you some leverage over them.

But remember there is no small claims courts here and a lawsuit for recovery is very expensive and generally not very successful on the whole against Ticos v. “expats.”

We have many kind and wonderful “expats” here that are enjoyable acquaintances. Then we have the same unscrupulous fellow citizens as at home.

Remember this is a very small country so where as in the USA you structure life to avoid such people, here they can come at you like foxes in sheep clothing.

I would personally ask airbnb how they would protect your as their client in order what are your rights and privileges you have as a member.

costaricafinca
    Participant

To me, if would be best, to live on the same property or at least very near the rental. Leaving a house vacant also leaves it [i]very [/i]vulnerable to theft.
    You would require management personnel for cleaning, giving keys etc.if you are an absentee landlord.
    You are required to pay tax on rental properties that rent out for less than 30 days…

Imxploring
    Participant

Having a reputable local management agent run the rental property including check in, check out, cleaning, and minor repairs and maintenance is the best option unless you live on site and will be doing things on your own. Depending on the services provided and if they book the rental your cost would be 10% to 20% of the rental fee.

Accounting and taxes can also be managed by an attorney working with the agent. Many good real estate offices also do property management. Check around, get some references and take it from there.

My feeling is that sites like Airbnb take a pretty hefty chunk of your rental and have no skin in the game. They also provide a great service for those that aren’t interested in seeing what other options are available in their particular situation.

bogino
    Participant

Aren’t AirBNB and VRBO essentially the same thing or are there differences?

costaricabill
    Participant

Yes, they offer the same service, but thru airbnb travelers can find a room to rent as well as an “entire house” vacation rental. VRBO and Homeaway are,I believe, now the same company, and they, like Flipkey and other companies, offer entire houses, condos, guesthouses, etc. for rental, not just a room or two in someone’s home.

gkbiz

[quote=”costaricabill”]Yes, they offer the same service, but thru airbnb travelers can find a room to rent as well as an “entire house” vacation rental. VRBO and Homeaway are,I believe, now the same company, and they, like Flipkey and other companies, offer entire houses, condos, guesthouses, etc. for rental, not just a room or two in someone’s home.
    [/quote]
    Yes you are correct. You rent your entire house. I am listed with HomeAway/VRBO. It is a yearly contract paid up front. What is not being answered by someone renting out their home or room with AirBnB is what AirBnB charges and withholds? (commission, taxes, fees ??) The money goes through them unlike HomeAway where the owner decides how payment is to be made. So what/how much do they hold back??

costaricabill
    Participant

Airbnb fee was 3 percent.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.