Ahead of the game again Scott

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Ahead of the game again Scott

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bradbard

I don’t know how you find the time to do what you do Scott but you’re always at least one step ahead of the game when it comes to the financial markets. Early last year, you were right on the money about the real estate market and the financial markets and your pensions article was right on the money and today they start talking about the same pension worries that you talk about in the Wall Street Journal.

I do not know any writers that are way ahead of the game in the US like you so how you do it from Costa Rica I really do not understand.

Decline in Calpers Assets May Lead to Increased Employer Contributions
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122469119659558689.html

By the way, are you sure you don’t help us US citizens manage money?

grb1063

All the state pension funds are down, but most states utilize “asset smoothing”. In WA State they spread pension fund gains or losses over an 8-year period and bank any amount in excess of the target 8% annual return. Our pension fund is down 4.5 billion or 7%, but there is a reserve of $10 billion. California’s, the largest state pension fund is down 18%. Unfortunately, California’s issues are far greater than any other state and is also the 8th largest economy in the world, thus the impact and volatility is much greater. They also have experienced the brunt of the housing bubble, serious budget problems, a huge shortfall in tax revenue and the single biggest illegal immigrant problem which has cost $1 billion in health care costs annualy.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you bradbard but no! I do not offer offshore private wealth management to US citizens.

In fact at the end of this year I will focus most of my time on Costa Rica real estate investments and will no longer accept new offshore investment clients clients of any nationality.

Strangely enough, the further I am away from the mania of Wall Street and London, the clearer and more objective my investment strategies have become.

We are living in very dangerous times and the end result may be some very serious, widespread civil unrest in the not so distant future.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

terrycook

Scott…..do you believe in Armageddon? according to the info I have read things will start going really wacky….weather/business and wars around the world…etc…I am not a doomsayer but it sure is spooky and scary….it was I think December 21 2012 or was it 2010…terry from texas

grb1063

2012 is the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar.
    Check this article out by Steve Forbes for a more level headed, capitalistic perspective: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1110/018.html
    The fate of US depends on that four letter word … poli-tics.

union

I read in that news today that 4 different people had been captured with plans to kill Obama on election night. I’ve heard those kinds of rumors for a while now… Just hypothetically, *if* that was to happen, I suppose civil unrest might break out?

On a very selfish level I’m wondering if they might close down the borders in that case?
    I’m in the last phases of planning our move and need a little more time here in the states but don’t want to get stuck here last minute!

What are your thoughts?

enduro

Firstly there will always be “nuts” out there trying to change the course of history by ill means… Obama being black just increases those numbers because of racist attitudes that still exist in the US.

I doubt that it would come to civil unrest to the point of closing the borders, as home grown problems can be much easier controlled with the security they have at airports. It would become more intensive, but at the moment they can’t afford to close the borders to trading partners from overseas. If they did, any offshore investment would run for the hills and the economy would be in real dire straights!

That’s just my opinion for what it’s worth…. $0.02

Brian

BIGWOOD

I must say Scott Im not sure if you are American or not but you do appear to be a doomdayer. I mean all this talk about civil unrest in the US. It is obvious by reading alot of these people look up to you in one way or another, you have one response indicating he is having document trouble and he is asking you if he will be there in time before all hell breaks lose in the US. I think your investment advice is great and you do well but they lookup to you like Jim Jones, do you remember dear Mr Jones in Guyana. I do love Costa Rica and I my thank lucky red, white and blue stars that I am an American and I am very proud of my country. The US has been on hard times before and ALWAYS recovered and we will again WITHOUT civil unrest. I guess if you were talking about Europe and the take over by the Muslims I could see civil unrest.

BIGWOOD

Union are you for real or do you do a stand up act. The election night thing and 4 people in custody thats funny, must be CNN. I was just watching CNN and they said there was going to be a huge space ship landing and all who wanted to get out before the civil unrest or they lock the boarders can go. CNN said the landing site will be given at the 5 o-clock news hour. I think you should RELAX don’t worry and you will be fine Cost Rica is not going anywhere or is it.

maravilla

Jim Jones? Are you kidding, or what? Scott is hardly a messianic leader who drugs his fans! Sheesh. What amerika needs is a revolution, but it will never happen. I know people who have lost EVERYTHING because of the crooks who orchestrated this financial collapse. They are really mad as hell and don’t want to take any more b.s. from the leaders who say their investments will recover in ten to fifteen years! Some of the people who lost their retirement and stocks won’t live that long. And if you think it isn’t possible that the gov’t can close the borders and restrict travel, well, think again.

ed f

On the night that MLK Jr was assasinated, rioting occured in 186 cities and towns in the US including the one in which I live. All of the churches in the downtown of our small southern US town have lexan over the stained glass windows due to the fear of future riots.
    Civil unrest is possible.
    ed f

*Lotus

I would agree civil unrest is certainly part of the history of the US. I don’t go in for the “armageddon” stuff but I would not be so arrogant to think the sh*t couldn’t hit the fan here. Mob mentality is quite a phenomenon and under the right(or should I say wrong) circumstances anything is possible…history tells us that.

Imxploring
    Participant

Civil unrest or not… I think it’s MUCH more likely that we see some type of problems in the streets related to the current economic crisis rather than someone going after Obama. Crime is already on the rise no matter what you’re told. And people ARE going to be hurting with everything going on! The US is ALREADY in a recession even if they have not “officially” declared it! Folks at or near retirement have had their CHANCE at retirement wiped out within a month… and younger people perhaps haven’t realized it yet… but they will NEVER be able to retire!

aenaze1

You are already seeing it albeit at a relatively benign level – vandalism and protests. As they say you aint seen nothin yet. We are ready for the “big one”. At the time that the debt level of the US exceeds the ability of the GDP to service it, then its the big swirl. Hank and Ben are trying to “kick the can” but until those entities, companies, people who are supposed to bankrupt actually do we are only narcotizing ourselves into a bigger, badder crash.

We need our currency to be tied to standard and out of the Fed’s hands. The last guy who tried that was JFK and well…we know what happened to him.

maravilla

There have been some REALLY nasty riots and protests where McCain has held rallies. You won’t see that footage on gov’t controlled tv, but it’s been broadcast on Democracy Now. Even the peaceful protests turned violent thanks to the goons in their SS uniforms and horses that trampled some people pretty badly when Iraqi vets begged McCain to end the war and not continue this farce. Freedom of speech? Yeah, sure. And the worst is yet to come.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.