Aguinaldo and other year end payments

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Aguinaldo and other year end payments

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dbserv

Being new to this, I was hoping someone could explain how to calculate the Aguinaldo (spelling that right?) holiday pay, stat holiday pay. anything else that needs to be paid by, I am told December 20? We have a Part time person and can only find information for full time (40+ hours/week). We want to make sure we are doing this right. If anyone could private message me with their phone number, I could call after work during the week or anytime over a weekend. Thanks all! ๐Ÿ˜€

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”dbserv”]Being new to this, I was hoping someone could explain how to calculate the Aguinaldo (spelling that right?) holiday pay, stat holiday pay. anything else that needs to be paid by, I am told December 20? We have a Part time person and can only find information for full time (40+ hours/week). We want to make sure we are doing this right. If anyone could private message me with their phone number, I could call after work during the week or anytime over a weekend. Thanks all! :D[/quote]

Please note that this is a Discussion Forum where we Discuss things together in the Forum so that we can all learn, it is not a private messaging service.

Having said that we have an article on this site that may answer your question:

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1263.cfm]Christmas Employee’s Bonus – ‘Aguinaldo’ is mandatory in Costa Rica[/url]

dbserv

[quote=”Scott”][quote=”dbserv”]Being new to this, I was hoping someone could explain how to calculate the Aguinaldo (spelling that right?) holiday pay, stat holiday pay. anything else that needs to be paid by, I am told December 20? We have a Part time person and can only find information for full time (40+ hours/week). We want to make sure we are doing this right. If anyone could private message me with their phone number, I could call after work during the week or anytime over a weekend. Thanks all! :D[/quote]

Please note that this is a Discussion Forum where we Discuss things together in the Forum so that we can all learn, it is not a private messaging service.

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1263.cfm]Christmas Employee’s Bonus – ‘Aguinaldo’ is mandatory in Costa Rica[/url]

Oh – I’m so sorry, Scott! I just thought I have so many questions, I would be just wasting space here but you are so right! We’re all here to learn so can anyone please tell me how to correctly and legally calculate vacation pay and stat pay for our gardener who works a few hours a week? I was told he needs to be paid nine stats at double time (even if he didn’t work them) and be paid two full weeks vacation pay the same as a full time person working a 40 hour week. If this is true, please let me know. I have tried to find this on the Costa Rican Labour Law sites, but they all address full time people – nothing about part time, occasional or hourly.

[/quote]

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”dbserv”][quote=”Scott”][quote=”dbserv”]Being new to this, I was hoping someone could explain how to calculate the Aguinaldo (spelling that right?) holiday pay, stat holiday pay. anything else that needs to be paid by, I am told December 20? We have a Part time person and can only find information for full time (40+ hours/week). We want to make sure we are doing this right. If anyone could private message me with their phone number, I could call after work during the week or anytime over a weekend. Thanks all! :D[/quote]

Oh – I’m so sorry, Scott! I just thought I have so many questions, I would be just wasting space here but you are so right! We’re all here to learn so can anyone please tell me how to correctly and legally calculate vacation pay and stat pay for our gardener who works a few hours a week? I was told he needs to be paid nine stats at double time (even if he didn’t work them) and be paid two full weeks vacation pay the same as a full time person working a 40 hour week. If this is true, please let me know. I have tried to find this on the Costa Rican Labour Law sites, but they all address full time people – nothing about part time, occasional or hourly.

[/quote][/quote]

Up front, please know that I am no expert, but for the past 6 years this is what I have done:
    1. Add up all of the monies paid to the employee between 1 dec of the previous year and 30 nov of the current year.
    2. Divide by 12 to arrive at “one month’s pay” – this is to be paid to the employee, plus
    3. Divide the total (#1 above) by 52 to gat the average weekly salary
    4. Multiply #3 by 2, to calculate 2 weeks vacation
    5. Add #2 and #4 together to arrive at required aquinaldo.
    6. I then generously round up and get the employee to sign a receipt or at least sheet of paper that shows the calculation.

B way of example, my calculation came to 90,830 colones. I gave the housekeeper 100,000 colones and ask her to sign for it. She was thrilled to do so. Then I scanned the signed paper and filed it on my computer so I know where to find it if the need arises.

Good luck!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Vacation and paid holidays doesn’t come into this equation, as this should be done [u]when[/u] the ‘holiday’ occur, until/unless the employee is terminated or is leaving. The ‘aguinaldo’ is [u]only[/u] the 13th month pay. Calculate it the simple way, [url=http://costaricalaw.com/calculators/christmasbonus.htm]here…[/url] and [i]please[/i] don’t wait until Dec 20th!

If, still in doubt go to your local Ministry of Labor of Costa Rica office.

dbserv

Thank you guys. What I need most is how to calculate vacation pay and stat pay for a part time (few hours/week) person. I have been told time and one half stat pay whether the day is worked or not and two week holiday pay equivalent to a full time 40 hour/week person. I have gone to the Labour Law sites but there is no information regarding part time people. If The above is correct, then the calculations would be simple. I just need confirmation that the above is correct. Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜†

costaricafinca
    Participant

As previously mentioned, vacation pay is [u]not[/u] part of the Aguinaldo nor required to be paid at this time of year. That is completely separate issue.
    For peace of mind, you should go to an [i]actual[/i] office….not an online one.
    [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Labor-Law/]Costa Rica Law website[/url] may provide some more info. though.

dbserv

Thank you anyway. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! ๐Ÿ˜€

Doug Ward

Take all of your seguros sheets. Add. Divide by 12 and do a direct transfer. NO CASH !
    “He didn’t pay me. He’s lying. I have 14 witnesses”

If you pay them more than the law requires(recommended) you only need to pay the aguinaldo by the number (not recommended)
    Proceed at your own peril.
    “I dunno why the saw died ? Bad gasolina !!! Drill ??? What drill?”

davidd

Doug

good to see people here with some real world experience with living here ๐Ÿ™‚ instead of regurgitating what they have read.

I now exactly what you mean ๐Ÿ™‚

[quote=”Doug Ward”]Take all of your seguros sheets. Add. Divide by 12 and do a direct transfer. NO CASH !
    “He didn’t pay me. He’s lying. I have 14 witnesses”

If you pay them more than the law requires(recommended) you only need to pay the aguinaldo by the number (not recommended)
    Proceed at your own peril.
    “I dunno why the saw died ? Bad gasolina !!! Drill ??? What drill?”
    [/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

By law, it is considered ‘illegal’ to pay for [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Labor-Law/labor-law-in-a-nutshell.html]vacation days[/url] that are ‘not actually taken …’

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.