Advise on importing personal items via container

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Advise on importing personal items via container

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    funmind
    Participant

We want to fill a container full of used household items and ship them from California to Costa Rica.
    Seeking advise and contacts to do so. Has anyone done this, and what was your experience.
    We understand that one needs a broker to help with the paperwork here in CR.
    Does anyone know of a broker who is reliable and fair priced?
    How does one determine what the import taxes here in CR will be?
    What shipping companies are the best, cheapest, and safest?
    Who to contact to have the container delivered once it arrives and clears customs?
    We are in Guanacaste, and assume Caldera will be the port of arrival as it is closest, but is Limon better or more practical?

baontheriver

[quote=”funmind”]We want to fill a container full of used household items and ship them from California to Costa Rica.
    Seeking advise and contacts to do so. Has anyone done this, and what was your experience.
    We understand that one needs a broker to help with the paperwork here in CR.
    Does anyone know of a broker who is reliable and fair priced?
    How does one determine what the import taxes here in CR will be?
    What shipping companies are the best, cheapest, and safest?
    Who to contact to have the container delivered once it arrives and clears customs?
    We are in Guanacaste, and assume Caldera will be the port of arrival as it is closest, but is Liberia better or more practical?[/quote]

I would go with Charley Zeller who operates out of Florida (lives in CR) but can do anywhere in the US. The trouble is that there is an imposter Charley that will screw you. If you choose to use him make sure that he can email Brian Anthony and copy me so I can assure that it is him. He gives you a price up front and has been doing it for 34 years. He did our container and everything went perfectly. He is as honest as you get and the price he gives you is the price you pay. Look up shiptocostarica . com. Let me know if you are going to bring your canine kids and I can help you save half the price with a lot less headaches!

OTTFOG

Barry Wilson of ShipCostaRica.com
    Costa Rica: 2232-5724
    USA: 843-278-5573

Barry has shipped six containers for me with household goods and has imported five vehicles for me. I have also watched him do dozens of containers with household goods for others. He has been doing this for 18 years and is a man of his word.
    Pura Vida,
    Jerry

dreammakers

I’ll keep these names in mind as we hope to be shipping soon enough as well. Thanks Brian-we’ll talk to you soon! I Hope the building is going well. Bob will be back down in about a month.

maravilla

i don’t think Liberia is a port town. at least not the last time i looked.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”maravilla”]i don’t think Liberia is a port town. at least not the last time i looked.[/quote]

Global warming with rising ocean levels, maravilla. Liberia might not be seaside today, but given time . . .

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”maravilla”]i don’t think Liberia is a port town. at least not the last time i looked.[/quote]

Global warming with rising ocean levels, maravilla. Liberia might not be seaside today, but given time . . .[/quote]

Something like 5 miilion years ago [give or take a million] Costa Rica was the bottom of a shallow sea. In another few million, it will be again. Then Liberia will be shoreline and there may be a port there. But the shipping agents will be different.:wink:

sverma20

You also have the option of using established forwarders like APA Worldwide or DAMCO (latter being part of Danish conglomerate APMoller-Maersk). I used APA both for importing into and exporting out of Costa Rica (household goods) and it was perfect. Advantage with DAMCO is that they are part of Maersk so their freight is likely cheaper.
    Remember that Costa Rica is one of the countries which charges customs duties also on used household goods and be careful with the list of contents and the values declared. e.g. if your TV is 3 years old, don’t write the price of a new one….good luck with your move !

DavidCMurray
    Participant

When we imported our household goods to Costa Rica, we were advised by the shipper not to declare any value for anything on the inventory which was destined for Costa Rican Customs. The notion was to let Customs come to its own conclusion.

I don’t know what the duty rate is on used imported household goods, but we paid way, way less than one percent of our goods’ actual value. So it worked!

raggedjack

Can I ship myself by container? It would be much roomier than a plane, and less hassle than driving. If they drop the container at my house for me to load, I can remodel the inside a little and make it comfy. A camping potty, cooler and some ham sandwiches, and I’d be all set.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”RaggedJack”]Can I ship myself by container? [/quote]

The question you’re not asking is whether you can hold your breath that long.

raggedjack

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”RaggedJack”]Can I ship myself by container? [/quote]

The question you’re not asking is whether you can hold your breath that long.[/quote]

Will they charge me if I drill air holes in the bottom? I have seen no posts on this.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”RaggedJack”]

Will they charge me if I drill air holes in the bottom? I have seen no posts on this.[/quote]

No, but without some cross ventilation you won’t get enough fresh air. So plan to drill some holes in the sides, too. Then they’ll make you buy the thing and your Costa Rican housing problems will be solved.

The more I think about this the more . . . (oh, never mind).

raggedjack

[quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”RaggedJack”]

Will they charge me if I drill air holes in the bottom? I have seen no posts on this.[/quote]

No, but without some cross ventilation you won’t get enough fresh air. So plan to drill some holes in the sides, too. Then they’ll make you buy the thing and your Costa Rican housing problems will be solved.

The more I think about this the more . . . (oh, never mind).[/quote]

Hey, I’ll bring my welder and we’ll build condos…

raggedjack

[quote=”RaggedJack”][quote=”DavidCMurray”][quote=”RaggedJack”]

The more I think about this the more . . . (oh, never mind).[/quote]

Portable Hotel Rooms! Travel country to country without leaving the comfort of your suite… I’m gonna be rich!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.