Advantages of dual citizenship?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Advantages of dual citizenship?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jerry

Is there ANY reason, other than faster passage through the airport, to bother with obtaining a CR passport as a dual citizen? My boy and I are both dual citizens, and have US passports.

If you mean coming in on your CR Cédule/a blue Costa Rica passport, I would say “yes” quicker. But in May when I came in on my Cédule as “residente pensionado” for my very first time after I moved here 09/11/2013, the immigration officer at SJO asked for my USA passport and then scanned my passport into their data base. Since my US passport was not scanned that I recall when I entered in in 2013 on my Cédule-approval letter, I thought on my May trip back (again, my very first I moved here), was something new. Maybe you need to stop worrying about what is quicker but completely understand what you need to do what other citizens of Costa Rica are required to do when they return. Since that is what you ate also doing in order to live here legally. I doubt if the Costa Rica cares you are carrying two different national passports at all.

davidd

if you can get a 2nd passport.. GET IT

insurance policy with many benefits

mediatica

I think I answered this question in a previous thread. Having two passports can have benefits for many reasons, but i find that Visas is a benefit–meaning that if you travel to a country where a USA citizen, for example, would have to get a Visa (Europe for example) where Costa Ricans do not. It saves you money and hassle. A CR passport is super easy to get and not expensive. I got one for each of my sons in Liberia. Again, hope this helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.