Adult children sponsored under pensionado

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Adult children sponsored under pensionado

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

I recently attended a party where several long-time expats stated that it was possible to have children over the age of 21 sponsored for residency under their parent’s pensionado status.

Is this true??

Jim S.

[quote=”sueandchris”]I recently attended a party where several long-time expats stated that it was possible to have children over the age of 21 sponsored for residency under their parent’s pensionado status.

Is this true??[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, that’s not necessarily correct. Pensionado status is, at least initially, a form of temporary residency. After three years as a pensionado resident, you become eligible to apply for permanent residency. Once granted, you could then sponsor adult children. Only a citizen or permanent resident can sponsor first degree family members for residency.

PS (Added by author): I may be entirely wrong about this. It appears that the immigration law states that only citizens may sponsor residency. I’m a permanent resident through marriage to a Costa Rican but am not a citizen. My mother lives with us and is in process of obtaining her residency. I thought she qualified through my residency but perhaps she’s getting special treatment because she’s disabled (or perhaps she qualified through my wife but I don’t think so). Anyway, for special circumstances, a good immigration attorney is your best bet and is how we are proceeding.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I read that this is only for a first degree family member of a legal citizen [i]under the age of 25[/i][b][/b]. The rules differ for a disabled family member.

*I edited my post because I forgot to add that important part.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.