A Special Thank You

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum A Special Thank You

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jessicab

I would also like to thank Jeannetta Owens and Charles for giving us insite into their lives. I was hoping that Costa Rica would be a little different than the US. Prejudice is a horrible thing. We should all be treated equally.

My husband and I will try to stay at their B&B on our visit.

Jessica, (Plano, Texas)

Edited on Jan 31, 2006 18:57

Andrew
    Keymaster

There is prejudice everywhere… I grew up in West Africa and was the ONLY white kid in school but when you’re a kid, you don’t really see colour or become prejudiced UNLESS someone “teaches” you… Thankfully nobody ever “taught” me that…

My whole young life was very African until I was 7 when I went off to boarding school in Scotland… Phew! Talk about black and white!

I may be mistaken but I sense that here in Costa Rica there is probably more ‘prejudiced’ thinking towards Nicaraguans that there is towards any black people…

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jenny

Jessica, Scott is correct in Costa Rica we have not really felt the prejudice because of our complexion from the Costa Rican people. It is some fellow North Americans, who refuse to grow up, on average most of the North Americans we have come in contact with have been just great and the others we leave alone. Charles and I know for a fact how North Americans feel. That is why we put our picture on our website so they would not be amazed when they come. We know for a fact that many will not book with us because of the fact we are black, but who cares. They will miss out. We have made our place one of the most comfortable vacation spots here. It is very clean, comfortable, friendly, beautiful and safe. Our staff is the greatest, we practice hospitality.

We have not had any African American visitors other than family or friends visit us and not many of them. So when you look at http://www.tripadvisor.com and see those things written about us, they are from white North Americans that have come to visit. Charles and I keep counting the good, it far outweighs the bad. We have been blessed and no one can keep God from blessing, He neither sees black or white.

The Costa Rican people have never showed us any prejudice other then the same prejudice that they show other North Americans.

The difference is they really do not think we are North Americans. You must come and experience it for yourself. We have been blessed to have many friends and Charles and I may be walking in a day dream but we refuse to dwell on the problems of others. It is a problem if you are prejudice. What a way to live. I am partial to people who look like me but I am not prejudice towards others.

We have been blessed above measure with friends and friendships. Just come to Costa Rica looking to find the best.

dkt2u

Hola, I have not been on for a few days so today was the first I saw this thread. My two cents…..here in Esterillos Oeste there is a white Canadian woman, with a 10 year old black son and she is married to a Tico man. I see no prejudice towards them what so ever.

jenny

What did you use to come up with that evaluation. I am almost positive that they have experienced some form of prejudice. They may not dwell on it or let it stop them from accomplishing their goal.

Since you just wrote in perhaps you do not know that the discussion started because Scott asked me to write about what it was like to be an Afro American in Costa Rica. What you are reading are comments to my experiences.

Now if you are African American living here perhaps your experience has been different. Having a ten year old, who is not probably and Afo American in a household that is Canadian and Tico was not the subject, nor was prejudice really the subject.

We have been treated very good by the Costa Rican people. In fact some of them have lived and worked in the US and they know what prejudice is, they have experienced it first hand.

dkt2u

Give it a rest Jenny. I can see you are a very bitter woman with many issues you need to deal with. I made a very reasonable comment. I don’t have to be African American to know about or see prejudice. I’m sorry, but you don’t have a corner on the feel sorry for me club. My experiences in Costa Rica are what they are. I have seen no prejudice towards African Americans here. If you have, that is unfortunant. Judging by your rediculous response to a well meaning post, you strike me as one that looks for trouble when there is none there. That is really unfortunant. My suggestion is “Life’s too short….don’t waste it” Good Lord!…..just live your life and stop whining.

jenny

Bitter, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,. Now I am crazy. Feel sorry, no do better then that pray for me, feeling sorry for me will not change the situation but prayer will.

No you do not have to be an African American to know prejudice. You have to be an African American to answer the question Scott asked me. What is it like to be an African American living in Costa Rica. You have to be an African American to answer that question.

dkt2u

Like I said Jenny, you seem the type that creates it whether it’s there or not. You do not know the lady I spoke of or their family. So you can’t be African American and not have experienced prejudice here. She has to have experienced prejudice because you say so? Please tell me where in God’s name did you come up with the supreme knowledge that a 10 year old black boy is probably not Afro American? Sounds like a little prejudice coming out there Jenny. Might want to search your own heart and look in the mirror before you come back again. Maybe I was not privy to the beginning of the thread and it being a discussion about Scott asking you to write about what it’s like being African American in Costa Rica. I was commenting on the subject of prejudice which was brought up in the postings in this thread. I made a very simple statement, and factual statement. I know you are the type that always has to say the last word. That was proven in your previous arguments you always seem to get into on the forum. So I won’t do the back and forth with you Jenny, not on the forum. If you would like to continue our discussion outside the forum that’s fine. Now go ahead…..have the last word Jenny.

jenny

My objective is to help someone and not to argue. The person that started this forum, started by saying thank you. That is all that matters. The rest of this is just mess.

jgram

wow I think we need to be a bit mature. I don’t think she is bitter u may not really know the history of blacks in Costa Rica or Latin America, most of them are NOT african american. Most black ppl in the world aren’t u know. The majority of blacks in Costa Rica are decendants of Jamaicans, or they might be from nicaragua & cuba. Like all countries because of colonization the attitude of blacks being inferior is still dominant its not as bad it used to be & once they figure out ur an american its cool, because then they realize u have money. lol

jenny

Sorry, but you are restarting a subject that is more then 2 years old.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.