$50 a sq foot house construction?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum $50 a sq foot house construction?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    sprite

The article about Scott’s log home construction project lists an estimated cost of about $50 per square foot. I wasn’t aware such low construction costs were still around. My limited research for construction around the San Ramon area puts the cost closer to $80 per sq ft right now. Is this because there is such a difference between cement block construction and log construction or is this more to do with the location?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Boy you’re quick!

That was the first draft of a new article which was activated prematurely and could not have been public for more than three minutes…

As you can tell from the previous mountain home photographs, we built with solid half logs but these are bought in previously assembled panels. The builder is building the home with logs but assembling the home with these panels.

Please give me an hour or so and I will post some photographs for you to see…

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

Thanks. I’m always interested in seeing photos. There was a half hour TV show of an American from Florida who built a fabulous log home in Costa Rica in the mountains. He was told by the locals that wood was not a good idea in CR because of the insects. He did it anyway and so far has had no problems. He had to get the logs from North Carolina, though.
    He also mentioned that the local construction workers had no experience with logs.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Take a look at [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/343.cfm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

sprite

Pretty slick. Where is this factory?

crayzrj

re: insect threats. i’m a licensed california wood destroying organisms (not just insects) inspector. the logs can be treated with Tim-Bor, generically called tetra-hydrate octoborate,to prevent attack by insects and fungus. this substance is cheap, relatively non-toxic (it has to be ingested in ounce quantities to poison you, and readily available (in the u.s.). i consider it a wonder chem (think borax or boron) and apply it regularly with long sleeved shirt and dust mask (all that’s required). it’s mechanism of action is its crystalline structure that cuts into insects shells and dehydrates them to death. repulsive to all termites and toxic to fungus. subterranean termites won’t tube over it. it penetrates the wood following the water present in all wood. it will leach out if submerged in water, so needs to be sealed in exposed applications. products (siding and exterior trim) are available with the chem embedded and guaranteed against infection or infestation. google and check current prices. application is easy for anyone, works great and won’t poison your environment.

sprite

there is probably a long list of pros and cons for wood versus cement as far as suitability for Costa Rica. I have only ever considered cement because it is by far the most utilized there. Logs have a certain cosmetic appeal to many but there must be other pluses.

maravilla

$80 a sq ft? not according to MY San Ramon contractor. costs are hovering around $60 for high end construction similar to what i did for $35 a sq foot three years ago.

maravilla

my neighbor up here in the campo built a little log cabin. it looked nice for the first year, but because they are not used to working with this type of construction, they didn’t chink the logs and well, you all know what happens then. he literally had mushrooms growing on his walls, and now the back side of his house that faces the wind and blowing rain, has literally disintigrated. i figure he has one more season and then if he doesn’t do something serious he’s going to lose that whole bck side of his cabin. there is a good reason why the basic construction here is of concrete block and rebar. i have a friend who is building a totally wood house inside and out. i’m placing bets on how long before the whole thing is covered in mold and mildew, which forms at humidity levels above 70%!

sprite

I have between $60 and $80. Perhaps $60 is more correct if things go exactly as planned but budgeting for $75 to include the inevitable problems as well as appliances might be wise.

I would never choose wood framed construction. It just feels and looks so insubstantial.

maravilla

if you do your homework and build a house that is consistent with what they know how to do, $60 should be sufficient, providing you aren’t the cliente from hell who makes constant revisions and changes once construction has started. jacking up the price to $75 to include appliances — wow, what are you going to buy, a $7000 Wolf range and a gigantic French Door fridge? there’s a reason they build in concrete here. it’s one word: TROPICS

moonbanks

Scott I have built 2 log homes on the coast of SC which also has high heat,humidity and insects..they were treated with a borax solution …we have not had ant insect problems..1 is 5 yrs old and the other is 15 yrs old..would like to hear more about building log homes in CR etc..cost,materials,etc…tks

chorizo

Maravilla..How can we get in contact with your contractor [home builder?] Does that estimate consist of “llave en mano” keys in hand service? or does one have to haggle with the “burro”cracy and permits department. Im truely interested in seeking a reliable [trustworthy] builder. Please share with me [us] contact info. Thanks

sprite

Maravilla, I hope you are correct about building costs. I spent some time talking with an engineer on the site where he was supervising the construction of a 5000 sq ft house in Buenos Aires, just outside of Palmares. This was almost two years ago and his estimate for this house was about $65 a sq ft at that time. The house was very luxurious. Time has passed and material costs have gone up substantially since then.

maravilla

my house is luxurious by Tico standards, and by American standards. I have granite countertops, mosaic murals in the master bath (my bathroom alone would’ve cost $20,000 in the States), Kohler sinks and faucets. blah blah blah, and my contractor said it woudl be $60 mas o menos to rebuild what I did for less than $40 two years ago. Scott has my email addy. I would be happy to share my contractor with you. I think he’s great. . . and honest. What a concept. And yes, he has done turnkey houses in my hood, for a lot less than my house cost me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.