3G telephones

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum 3G telephones

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    spiritdancer

Someone on the forum answered a previous question I had regarding 3G phones, saying it isn’t necessary to buy the phone in CR but that you must have a receipt in your name.(Which is always easy to do here in the wild west of CR) However, I seem to remember something being said about only certain 3G phones will be supported by ICE. Is there a list of acceptable phones from ICE? How do I find out before I have my daughter send me one from the US? I have a friend who told me he took 6 phones (3G) from the US to ICE and they told him none would work. 😕

Ronny

You might find some helpful information here. It’s also important that the phone is unlocked.
    http://portal.grupoice.com/wps/wcm/connect/web+content/Esp/CatTelecom/Personal/Homol/

spiritdancer

[quote=”ronny”]You might find some helpful information here. It’s also important that the phone is unlocked.
    Thanks for the info, I’ll have a look. I’m afraid I’m technologically challenged:oops: how do I know if the phone is unlocked?:roll:

Ronny

Most service providers sell phones that are only for their network. Therefore, chances are that the phone is locked.
    The sure-fire way to see if your phone is locked or unlocked is to insert a SIM from a different carrier in it. If it functions properly, it is unlocked. If not, then its locked.

spiritdancer

[quote=”ronny”]Most service providers sell phones that are only for their network. Therefore, chances are that the phone is locked.
    The sure-fire way to see if your phone is locked or unlocked is to insert a SIM from a different carrier in it. If it functions properly, it is unlocked. If not, then its locked.[/quote]
    Ronny, thank you for taking the time to answer. I do appreciate it.:D

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If you’re actually shopping for a 3G phone to use on ICE’s network, then online retailers like Amazon will list whether a phone is unlocked or not. In fact, Amazon has a whole subcategory of unlocked phones. Just be absolutely certain that the phone you select is, in fact, a [u]3G[/u] phone. Take it from one who made the mistake.

Too, ICE no longer insists upon a receipt for the phone, but they will not install a SIM chip in a phone that’s not of the 3G persuasion. And it’s my understanding that they won’t just give you the SIM chip either, unless you have that 3G phone to install it in despite the fact that the 3G chip will work in a GSM (older generation) phone.

Ronny

Confused yet? If not, check out this site.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Motorola-Phones-with-Windows

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I did and I am.

Now, beyond any point of discussion, I’d be certain to just purchase a known unlocked phone.

rosiemaji

We got the Huawei cell phone from ICE for 3G service. We also used it as a modem for our computer via a usb connection. We are on the unlimited internet service plan at the slowest 3G speed that we added on to our regular cell phone 3G service. The service was not really that terribly slow and it worked just fine for connecting the computer to the internet except when the kids were online after school and on weekends. Unfortunately the computer hard drive died before we left Costa Rica to return to the states but we could still get our email directly on the phone. Writing emails on the phone is very slow, however, because it doesn’t have a qwerty keyboard. Here is a list of current ICE charges for the internet 3G.

Type of service Limits speed* Cost per month

Internet cellular Unlimited Max 128 Kbps ¢ 3,955

Internet mobile 500 MB Max 256 Kbps $ 13.56

Internet mobile 1 GB Max 512 Kbps $ 20.34

Internet mobile unlimited Max 1 Mbps $ 27.12

*The speed will depend on the capacity of the moving grid of ICE 3G (how many people are online at one time)
    This information was extracted from the following website:
    http://portal.grupoice.com/wps/wcm/connect/web+content/Esp/CatTelecom/Personal/Homol/ The same website has the 3G phones that can be used for 3G service in Costa Rica.

I thought it was curious that the first price was in colones and the next three prices were in dollars.

BTW: [b]Could someone tell me the model number of the Huawei phone that ICE sells?[/b] We are not with the phone right now and I want to get some sort of skin to protect the phone in case it is dropped. ICE offered zero accessories for the phone beyond what came in the box. It looks like it has the same body as the Huawei Tap U7519 and the T-Mobile Tap.

rosiemaji

I also find it curious that ICE does not list the iPhone. The 3G iPhone does work in Costa Rica as long as it is the US version and it is unlocked. I ordered the US version, was sent an unlocked Chinese version by some unscrupulous internet merchant and it [b]did not[/b] work. The phone must have the 850 bandwidth to be used in Costa Rica. I was very happy to get the list of usable phones. I have an unlocked Nokia E71 on order and I see that it is on the list.

spiritdancer

Thank you so much for all the info. It is really helpful. I too connect to the internet by bluetooth and cell and I’m looking forward to a faster connection. Thanks again.:D

spiritdancer

[quote=”ronny”]Confused yet? If not, check out this site.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-Motorola-Phones-with-Windows%5B/quote%5D

Just when I thought it was safe to go in the water!:shock:

spiritdancer

[quote=”rosiemaji”]We got the Huawei cell phone from ICE for 3G service. We also used it as a modem for our computer via a usb connection. We are on the unlimited internet service plan at the slowest 3G speed that we added on to our regular cell phone 3G service. The service was not really that terribly slow and it worked just fine for connecting the computer to the internet except when the kids were online after school and on weekends.
    Type of service Limits speed* Cost per month

Internet cellular Unlimited Max 128 Kbps ¢ 3,955

Internet mobile 500 MB Max 256 Kbps $ 13.56

Internet mobile 1 GB Max 512 Kbps $ 20.34

Internet mobile unlimited Max 1 Mbps $ 27.12

*The speed will depend on the capacity of the moving grid of ICE 3G (how many people are online at one time)
    This information was extracted from the following website:
    http://portal.grupoice.com/wps/wcm/connect/web+content/Esp/CatTelecom/Personal/Homol/ The same website has the 3G phones that can be used for 3G service in Costa Rica.

I live in a remote area and when I connect it says it is at 115 kbps. In reality, it is never faster than 10kbps. So even if I signed up for the slowest at 128kbps I’d be in heaven! I’m suspecting that the other plans probably aren’t even available to us folks out in the boonies??? I’m wondering if anyone in remote Guanacaste has any experience with this???I’d be more than happy to pay if my connection was really 1Mbps.:D

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.