3G Cell Phones

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum 3G Cell Phones

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DavidCMurray
    Participant

ICE, currently Costa Rica’s only cellular phone service provider, has announced that it will be making available 250,000 new cellular numbers in its new third generation system sometime in the next couple of months.

My question is this: If I reserve one of these numbers, must I also purchase a new, third-generation cell phone to activate it? I own a “not-third-generation” cell phone now that I’m not using. Can I use that phone on the coming third generation system?

countdown

Dave, when I spoke with ICE regarding the new 3G there were several interesting points:
    [list]
    [*]TDMA lines [u]may[/u] be able to keep their number. GSM need a new number.
    [*]The frequency (eg. 1800) for the new 3G support has not been published, so any new phone isn’t guaranteed to be supported until that is known.
    [*]ICE always requires a phone, not currently associated with an ICE line, for activation… an a purchase receipt for it.
    [*]Implementation of 3G will be basic services (phone, text) and none of the 3G benefits for the foreseeable future.
    [/list]Basically, all the advice I hear is “wait six months” before jumping into the 3G (non-)service.

Of course I already have a solicitude in for 3G service.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

countdown, is ICE saying that, with implementation of 3G, all the existing GSM phones and numbers will be obsoleted? Every current GSM user will need to purchase a new 3G phone and apply to ICE for a new number? I thought ICE was only getting 250,000 3G numbers, at least to start. It seems like there are half that many people walking the streets of Grecia and talking on existing cell phones.

Understand, please, that I’m not interested in 3G’s expanded capabilities. I’m perfectly satisfied with my existing GSM service.

countdown

No Dave. What ICE told me is “if you want the 3G service, and have a GSM phone, you must apply for a new number”. If you have TDMA there is a chance you can keep the same number.

They gave no indication that the current, lousy GSM service will change, only that they’re adding 3G and possibly on a different frequency. (a guess on my part since ICE authorized agents haven’t been told what frequency and consequently won’t guarantee a 3G-capable phone will work with ICE’s 3G when it appears.)
    CD

countdown

On Tuesday AMCostaRica noted that ICE has published the frequency for the new 3G network… They’ll use 850MHz which is generally available on the multi-band phones. They also mention that the phone’s camera may or may not work (not sure why) with the ICE network.

The obvious recommendation is to use an ICE-approved phone… when they finally list them on the ICE website…
    CD

dominique

Ooohhh! So does this mean availiblitiy & coverage for unlocked iPhones? Anyone using one there now with success?

countdown

[quote]Ooohhh! So does this mean availiblitiy & coverage for unlocked iPhones?[/quote]
    Actually I know many people who’ve been using them for a year or two, but now it is official.

On the ICE site (in the Kolbi 3G section) the FAQ has one question about whether the iPhone will work. The answer is “yes” with the caveat that they don’t guarantee “the quality of service” will match that of “certified” phones.

What really benefits you is that a new 3G line doesn’t require the purchase (and receipt for) an approved phone. You need a cedula (or personeria juridica for a corporation purchase) and the 12,500 colones.

So you can sign up with your iPhone and enjoy.
    CD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.