$26.00 exit tax

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum $26.00 exit tax

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sandalwood

When my son and I left CR I charged the $26.00 exit tax ($52.00) to my credit card. Upon receiving my credit card statement the charge on it was for $78.62. When I called my credit card company they told me the transaction went through as a cash withdrawal. The transaction appears on my statement BCAC-AEROPUERT SANTA MARIA ALAJUELA. Has anyone else charged their exit tax to a credit card and have this happen?

surfer02025

We had a similar problem on visit last year. We used our CapitalOne card which at the time had a very low interest rate on both new purchases and a not insignificant old balance. It was a good card for us, earning miles we could use for more travel.

Running low on cash on our way out of the country, we “charged” our $52 exit tax payment. We later learned that this “credit card service” is really a BCAC bank branch and that “charges” are really “cash advances”. These are often treated differently than regular charges, and in our case with CapitalOne the “cash advance” triggered a greater than 10% increase in our interest rate — on all outstanding balances and new purchases. We lost our favorable interest rate.

The interest charges on the first statement were quite a shock, but customer service would not bend for us. We cancelled the card and rolled the balance into a new miles card with a lower interest rate.

Best advice – pay cash unless you’ve scrutinized all the fine print in your credit card contract. Has anyone noticed if there are signs at the tax counter advising people that they are getting a cash advance, not making a charge?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Related Question: Does anyone know if the exit tax is different for legal residents of Costa Rica than for tourists? The last time we left Costa Rica for a couple of weeks, we showed our U.S. passports and paid $26 each at the exit tax desk. When we returned, late in the evening, there was considerable tongue clucking, brow furrowing, and supervisor consulting by the Immigration officer. We asked, in our pidgin Spanish, if there was a problem. She replied that there was but we could not understand what it was.

After a lengthy discussion with her supervisor, we were waved on through with no further explanation.

Did we pay too little?

Edited on Sep 05, 2007 05:29

sandalwood

Mine was also charged to my Capital One Visa card.

mmessier2

If you put it on your Visa Debit Card, there are no “Cash Advance” charges.

Also, I remember their being a sign clearly posted in English that said the charges were made as cash advances. This was in Liberia.

Edited on Sep 05, 2007 07:53

rf2cr
    Participant

David, since we had recently received our residency carnet we asked at Liberia airport and were told that residents and tourists pay the same $26.00 fee.
    Ruth

wrspollen

I learned that lesson after my first trip. Since then I set aside the airport tax before I arrive and if the booth is open when I arrive at immigration I pay the tax.

Minuit

Hola, I like to buy pay my exit tax long before I leave, often the Day I arrive. I just let the card with my passport and when it is time to go, I don’t have to wait in line to pay….and I’m sure I won’t be short of money to pay it… Jo

grb1063

The easiest way we have found is to go to a Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) branch and pay the exit tax there. They are the only bank that does it and eliminates the stress of having to wait in line at the airport if you are in a time crunch.

guru

YES, From what I understand the exit tax is considerably higher for Ticos and legal Residents. I do not know the amount.

There have been some complaints about this by Ticos but no action that I know of.

I suspect that after their discussion the Immigration officers decided that there was no right way to sort out the mistake in their or you lifetime and let it pass. Be sure to identify yourself as a resident next time you pay the exit tax.

harvcarp

After several recent departures from SJO, I can tell you that $26.00 is standard for everyone!

Harvey

maravilla

I am a legal resident of Costa Rica and when I left CR last month, my cedula was in my passport when I presented it to the agent who looked at it and declared that my exit fee was 26 bucks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.