$100 now to leave Costa Rica???

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum $100 now to leave Costa Rica???

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    itsbutch

The last time I left CR I paid $26. I just received an email from the states and a friend said her friend paid $100 to leave CR on the 9th of January after her 3 week vacation. This this a fact!?

maravilla

WHAT? I can’t believe this and the source of the information is too far removed to be reliable. That would be a huge hike in exit fees and not one single person has ever mentioned this on any of the other boards. How many people were traveling in her party???

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’m assuming four people were in her party…

This would be an increase that none of us have heard about …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

wmaes47

The only increase in taxes that I have heard read about, is the new “arrival tax” proposal.

I would say the friend of a friend’s friend has the amount misstated.

Fly Free
    Bill Maes

*Lotus

Perhaps she paid a “tax collector” as she stepped out of her taxi in front of the airport…

maravilla

If this is really true (which I doubt) I won’t be able to afford to LEAVE Costa Rica. DAMN! What a punishment, eh?

genn789

Have a look at http://www.alterra.co.cr and then go to Menu and Aeropuerto. Scroll down and you will see:

Impuestos de Salida:
    • Nacional – Extranjero – Residente: $26

So the friend of the friend of…. made a mistake…… or paid somebody “voluntary” $ 100.–

Andrew
    Keymaster

Must have been one of the ‘voluntary’ lanes like they have at the toll booths…

“Stand in this line to pay 290% more and buy enough rice and beans for the winter months for my family.”

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

dehaaij

Funny you mention the toll booth thing because that’s the first thing that came to my mind when I first read this thread. You see, about 5 or so years ago, the fares for the booths in Escazu and the highway to the airport were 60 colones. The officials knew they had to raise the fare and were considering a new one of 100 colones. But someone, or some party, objected on the grounds that the increase was too great, from 60 to 100 would be a 67% increase! Hence the 75 colon fare now and the voluntary 100. By the way, I think this is one of the most rediculous things in Costa Rica. Wait in line 5 minutes while burning 14 cents of fuel to pay a 14 cent fare. It does keep people employed though 🙂

genn789

no no no…. if you burn more fuel, the government receives more tax…. 🙂
    An employee receives ± col. 800 an hour (11 tax-paying cars) so this is “big” business…… 🙂 🙂

jolindsay

It was “only” $26 when I left on 1/13.

maravilla

And it’s STILL $26. That other person who paid $100 got flimflammed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.