Rock and Roll – Earthquake in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Rock and Roll – Earthquake in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    maravilla

Who felt this thing and where???

Special report on earthquake
    > Thursday afternoon (Jan. 8, 2009)
    >
    > Dear readers:
    >
    > We have posted the following special report:
    >
    > COSTA RICA HIT BY MAJOR QUAKE
    >
    > A 6.2 magnitude earthquake hit north of the Central Valley this afternoon > at 1:21 p.m. and set streets and buildings in motion. There were injuries. > The quake endured for at least 20 seconds and was followed by a number of > aftershocks, some of which were felt.
    >

Andrew
    Keymaster

Whooee! Yes!

I was having lunch in an Escazu restaurant with a developer when it started, women screamed and ran out the door.

Apart from the fact that my lamb moved around the plate a bit, the food was great!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. Another tremor felt at 2.55pm

maravilla

HAHAHA At least the lamb didn’t run out the door!! I guess Alajuela got the worst of it. People felt it in San Ramon and even up in Los Angeles Sur but nobody has any significant damage. One neighbor has a crack in her wall, but that’s it. 6.2 is a good-sized tremblor, but nothing like the 9.2 I went through in Alaska that lasted more than 5 minutes!!

Andrew
    Keymaster

These posted in the wrong place and reposted here….

Posted Jan 08,2009 2:11 PM scara

I read about the quake in C.R. I ALSO READ THAT only about 12% of them are even noticed by most people..but lets hear from THE people!
    How long have any of you been living there and how dramatic/often did you notice any quakes.??.be sure to mention the area you noticed them in..
    thanks

Reply Delete Edit
    message Posted By
    Posted Jan 08,2009 2:44 PM maravilla

I’ve only felt two in my 4 years in CR. I live in Los Angeles Sur, and we are lucky to have no faultlines up there. I’m not there yet, so I missed this one, but the other two I felt were centered down south near Parrita, so we only got a little wavy motion up north.

Reply Delete Edit
    message Posted By
    Posted Jan 08,2009 3:59 PM blackjackds

When we were in Tamarindo a couple months ago we got woken up in the middle of the night because our sliding glass door was rattling. This happened 2 times that week. We didnt think much of it but I wonder if it was earthquakes??

Reply Delete Edit

jafranz

I live outside Quepos and have felt at least 3-4 quakes in the last 6 months. The one last week at about 7 PM was like an explosion and made noise. The one today was pretty good movement.

sbw1977
    Participant

We´re staying at the Ramada between Alajuela & San Jose. It shook here pretty good, the hotel staff was freaked out. No damage here, just some emptied shelves.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Updated info, reflects much more damage than originally thought. Many tourists trapped up at the La Paz hotel due to blocked roads and folk caught between landslides on a bus heading to the Caribbean. The media is reporting to expect more earthquakes/aftershocks today.
    We are in Guanacaste, so never felt anything, this time

I’ve been here for sixteen years and this is only the second seismic movement that I’ve been near enough for it to get my attention. The first was in 1994 and I was having lunch at a San Pedro eatery on a Saturday afternoon and most patrons ran out into the street. During this most recent quake on Thursday I was at home in Belen and it shook the paintings on my walls and I watched as my refrigerator danced. Fortunately, nothing broke and the only personal adjustment I’m making is to remove the large glass mounted painting from above my bed which could have fallen on my head had this event occurred while I was sleeping. Live and learn is what I believe in.
    However, the poor Ticos that live up near the Volcan Poas didn’t fare as well as the hills slid into the valleys and poorly constructed dwellings collapsed with several habitants inside. The Ticos are resilient and this natural disaster just like the annual torrential rains that cause flooding and mudslides on the eastern slopes, Caribbean coast and in the Quepos, Parrita areas, don’t deter them from fixing up their dwellings and moving back in.
    If people don’t live, learn and react to immanent danger, are they still victims, or have they accepted the risk and become willing participants?
    The live for the moment concept is an accepted part of the culture in Ticolandia.

Silverfawn

Is the road to the Caribbean open or did the landslide close it?
    Thanks, will be there soon……….

DavidCMurray
    Participant

We live outside Grecia and sustained no damage. Neighbors report things falling off shelves and the PeriMercado supermarket was closed while the staff put everything back where it belonged.

We were driving home and had just come down off a speed bump when the first shock occurred. At first, I thought the car’s suspension was still bouncing, but when the movement didn’t stop, I assumed we’d blown a tire and so pulled off the road. With the transmission in Park and the emergency brake set, the bouncing continued. Only then did we notice the swaying utility poles and waving wires overhead.

Some fun!

watchdog

I’ve lived in Costa Rica for just over ten years. Coming from the westcoast of Canada (Vancouver Island), I am accustomed to one or two small earthquakes, not exceeding 4.5 on the Richter Scale each year. During the time that I have lived in Costa Rica (Central Valley), I can recall approximately the same number per year of a similar intensity as those in Canada. You notice them, but carry-on doing what you are doing. Yesterday’s, was certainly the strongest that I’ve felt in my lifetime, and I did hurry outside my home after the first couple of seconds.

Edited on Jan 09, 2009 09:27

maravilla

Here’s some news footage of the quake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ6ARtLzZjA

costaricafinca
    Participant

Another link, http://www.insidecostarica.com
    According to info on this page, this was the worst in 150 years.

maravilla

It wasn’t the biggest quake, although it may have caused more damage, but the one in 2004 was bigger and a lot of people were killed.

maravilla

Check this out:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/world/historical_country.php#costa_rica
    Costa Rica

1910 05 04 – Cartago, Costa Rica – M 6.4 Fatalities 700
    1991 04 22 – Costa Rica – M 7.6 Fatalities 47
    1999 08 20 – Costa Rica – M 6.9
    2004 11 20 – Costa Rica – M 6.4 Fatalities 8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.