Relocating – African Americans in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Relocating – African Americans in Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    islandnb

Scott, I am a african american wanting to relocate to Costa Rica.My question is do you know if there are American african Americans living in Costa Rica outside of the Limon area. I am american born and raised. If you can provide me this information it would be very helpful. I reside in Atlanta,Georgia.

Best rgards,

Elizabeth

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sure there are African Americans here in the Central Valley area. I can’t tell you how many but …

I will email you privately the email address of Jeanette & Charles Owens who are a delightful African American couple who run a B&B.

They would be happy to speak with you and I’m sure if you came to visit Costa Rica and stayed in their B&B, you’d get a really good feel for the country

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jasman

Hmmm… In Costa Rica, do they refer to themselves as “African Americans?” Or do they refer to themselves as “African Costa Ricans?”

😉

From what I have read in books and other sources, the black people in Costa Rica simply refer to themselves as “negros”. Now, don’t get excited or offended, “negro” is just the Spanish word for “black.”

Just wondering.

John

Edited on Jan 18, 2006 20:06

Andrew
    Keymaster

Negros, negritos, morenos, morenitos…

However, these are NOT considered offensive terms here.

Just the same as someone might call his friend “gordo” or “gordito” which for you and I would mean an seriously insulting “fatty” or “little fatty” but here, it’s more of a term of endearment.

They’ll call a girl “flaca” or “flacita” meaning “skinny” or “skinny little thing” but again it is NOT an insult.

Scott

jenny

Most of the countries I have traveled in the only time we have problems with those phrases is when you come in contact with citizen of the US. I love being called Negro here in Costa Rica and since I know what it means I love it even more. Of course many of us are not the color negro when they talk about you when you are not darker brown the call you morano. It is a matter of describing color or your complexion rather than race. I would suggest that most of the racism here is what we carry in with our luggage. You can look for it but who really cares, it is all about how you feel about yourself. The Negro here is sought after for jobs and envied to a certain extent because they speak english and if they are educated they read and write it as well. In Costa Rica the important jobs need bilingual employees and they do not care whether they are black of white.

The prejudice here is a matter of ecomonics. When you come here the thing you will have to adjust to is being called a gringo.

LadySkinner

Hello Elizabeth, my name is Lady Skinner and I am thinking about moving to CR I am also Afor American living in Las Vegas,NV but I lived in Lithonia GA for a while.

I have a small business I would love to open a store when I get to CR but trying to get my Husband to up and move from the US is hard. Let me know what you find out please.8)

rf2cr
    Participant

I am not African American but in my experience in the Arenal area the acceptance by both the Tico and Gringo communities depends on the person and not the race.

LadySkinner

OK

Griffingreen

What is the address of the Owens’ B&B? Any new information about African Americans living in Costa Rica. Is there a particular part of the country AA’s prefer?
    What part of the country is English spoken frequently? Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.