Question about working in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Question about working in CR

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dominique

My husband is an artist (the same one who “needs” the 50’x100′ studio!). From what I understand in order to work in CR among the other requirements, one is that he is performing a job that no other Tico can do. That’s where it gets sticky in my mind… I’m sure there are many talented Tico painters in CR, but none would paint exactly how/what my husband paints. So legally would he be able to work in CR? And what about prep work like building/ streching canvases? Would we have to contract that work out to a local? And then selling work… would we have to hire a Tico representative to deal with galleries (in country or out)? Hmm?

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’m only guessing here but I would suggest that your chances of getting legal residency to ‘work’ as an artist are non-existent, having said that nobody can stop your husband painting in his own home and selling whatever he paints privately to whomever wishes to buy it …

Why not start your own art gallery? I have bought paintings from a gentleman in Santa Ana who has an art gallery in his own very lovely home and I can assure you that he is making an enormous amount of money….

You can own your own business in Costa Rica, they just don’t want you ‘working’ in it … And if you have to travel to Panama or Nicaragua or Miami every months, great! You can pick up some more art supplies and ideas …

Have you met with an immigration attorney and asked him what options could be available?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

dominique

Thank you for the quick reply! It’s good to know that there are artists in CR who are making a good living! (Yea Artists!) I have yet to meet with an immigration attorney. I will probably do so in the next few months when I do a serious rendezvous with the university. It’s interesting that you mention starting an art gallery… My personal life goal is to have a latin-american art collection that rivals Charles Saatchi! Sounds like that is a great possibility in CR.

BTW, I always try to pick up a piece of work (or three!) while I’m there. If you can recommend any places for local art it would be appreciated. Some of my favorite places for aquiring art in CR are the contemporary museum (was totally shocked when they gave me the contact info of one of their artists without charging a commission) and San Jose Volando, the little zine of things to do in CR (found a great Cuban artist doing social realism!). I also purchased a beautiful watercolor from a guy off the street behind the Gran- lovely!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.